Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pipercub Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2007, 10:09 AM
    Items for Wiring 220v Spa/Hot Tub
    I need to know what type of wire to use for wiring a 220v hot tub. The breaker box is in the house, the wire will come through a concrete wall.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 21, 2007, 01:44 PM
    Wait, you also need a 50 amp GFI breaker added to your box or to a sub panel. You may get away with #10 wire but I'd go #8 not knowing your hot tub. Have fun drilling through that concrete wall. Any chance of getting higher and drill the plate?
    Pipercub Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2007, 02:08 PM
    Would it be best to wire it directly to the breaker? Or to create a 220 plug-in, like the dryer?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 21, 2007, 04:54 PM
    Wire directly to the GFI. They are bigger than normal breakers so you may need to add a smaller sub pnale.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 21, 2007, 07:00 PM
    What you need to do is post the power the spa is rated for, amps or watts. Then wait until tkrussel answers. He won't post an answer you could interpret as saying you could connect a 50 amp breaker to # 10 wire. The rating of the breaker and the wire must both exceed the draw of the spa.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 22, 2007, 02:33 AM
    Most hot tubs need a 50 amp circuit, using a 50 amp GFI breaker and #6 copper wire if using Romex cable. #8 or #10 Romex will not be sufficient, and cannot be connected to a 50 amp breaker.

Get back with the electrical data listed on the nameplate, and the type of wiring method to learn the proper wire size.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot tub plumbing and wiring [ 3 Answers ]

To make a long story short. In the process of my divorce our hot tub popped a breaker and froze up. I had the pump fixed but the person that took everything apart can not remember how to put every thing back together. It is an old hot tub so I can not find a name on it to get any kind of...

Wiring of a hot tub. [ 1 Answers ]

We just had a free hot tub giving to us. We already have 220 in our house. We just need some help getting it wired. It is an older Jacuzzi model. Can some one provide us with a diagram or instructions.

Hot tub wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I'm wiring a subpanel for my hot tub. I know the white wire from the breaker goes to the neutral bar, but does the neutral wire from the hot tub connect to the neutral bar or the neutral terminal on the GFI breaker?

Hot Tub wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I installed a gfi breaker at the main box but wanted to double check my work. The neutral white wire from breaker goes to the ground bar. But does the solid copper ground lead go their also? Thanks

View more questions Search