Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gwinger Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2007, 09:08 PM
    Been cruelly slandered
    I hope someone can help with an educated opinion. Our son and daughter in law are going through a very bitter divorce. We kept our little grandson just about every weekend from the time he was born till he was 18 months. He is just the sweetest thing and we offer stability and love and guidance to him. Our daughter in law has decided that we can no longer see him. While this is very painful, we do visit her myspace website to see any new pictures of him, so that we can get a glimpse of him. Our son is in prison due to probation violations from DWI charges. He has to serve a year. Since our daughter in law can see what city the person who visits her website is from she has figured out it is us viewing. Well, she decided to post some very untrue and slanderous things about us. I mean these are the worst things anyone could say about anyone. That's just the way she plays so says our son. While we don't condone the things he has done to be incarcerated, we do know his is loving and good to his family.
    Our daughter in law has a blog on her website titled Mother In Law that is just the most slanderous thing about me and my husband. She says we are vulgar, nasty people. Quite the contrary, we raised our son in church and anyone who knows us would quite readily support our good character. She has had a rough way to go in life with a grandfather who molested her own mother. She has a very violent family who have all been on probation for violent behavior. While she refers to my first name and says I'm her mother in law, do we have a case against her. People we know visit her website to see pictures of our grandson as well. The things she says are just so slanderous we have decided we need to see a lawyer. Do we have a leg to stand on since she doesn't mention our last name? Thank you, Gwinger (as in Goldwing rider)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 20, 2007, 09:13 PM
    Well there is a thing done in law it is called sue them. So you hire an attorney and sue them, the worst thing that happens is nothing, the best, she has to remove it.
    gwinger Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2007, 09:19 PM
    Thank you. I do believe that is what we will have to do. The idea is not to seek revenge. We are above that. However, removing those terrible slanderous things is the goal. I have written myspace, but have not heard back from them yet.
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

May 20, 2007, 10:14 PM
    It sounds like you are in a bad situation, that there simply arnt any easy answers. While yes it is true you can sue, (everyone has this right) it will not help the situation, and will not produce any positive results. Try to form some kind of relationship with the mother, maybe you can learn to get along.
    In my state (NC) grandparents can sue for visitation.
    tawnynkids Posts: 622, Reputation: 111

May 21, 2007, 12:52 PM
    Defamation includes both slander and libel. Generally, slander occurs when the reputation or good name of someone is damaged as a result of false statements that are made orally. Libel, on the other hand, occurs when false statements regarding another are put in writing.

Whether a particular statement, oral or written, constitutes defamation in the nature of slander or libel will depend upon the particular circumstances and the identity of the parties. To prevail in a defamation lawsuit, a plaintiff must prove that the defendant made a false and defamatory statement about the plaintiff that was communicated to a third party. Thus a false and objectionable statement sent in an e-mail to the plaintiff's co-worker may be libelous. The plaintiff can usually succeed by showing the communication was either intentional or at least negligent. Finally, it is also possible for the plaintiff to bring a libel suit where the plaintiff himself repeats the alleged defamatory statement. This is called self-publication. This can occur, for example, when an individual applies for a job and has to tell the prospective employer about something the previous employer said that was false.

Before beginning a libel or slander lawsuit, the plaintiff must determine whether the objectionable statement is true. No matter how damaging, insensitive, rude or inappropriate a statement may be, the plaintiff will lose if the statement is true.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search