Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aplusauto Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2007, 06:53 PM
    Outside unit doesn't run
    I have a Janitrol/Goodman outside unit that is approximately 7 years old. I have not had any problems with it at all - heating or cooling. Haven't used it since the last of the cold nights, probably the beginning of April. Tried to get the unit to cool the house a few days ago and it wasn't working. The inside fan will come on but nothing at the outside unit. There is a click heard outside when the thermostat is switched to cool. I do not see any fuses in the unit. There is a circuit board but I do not see any lights on it. I also do not see the contactor closing. Any suggestions and/or is there a way to 'hot wire' the unit to eliminate the thermostat or any other part?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2007, 07:01 PM
    If you have a heat pump the click that you hear when the thermostat is turned on may be the reversing valve energizing. There is a contactor that you should be able to hear also when the thermostat is turned on. The contactor is the control that the electric wires, coming in from the power box, are connected to. If you see it close and nothing happens then you may have a fuse blown of a breaker that has tripped.
    There are other things it could be but there is one thing that is the first thing that you should always check and that is to see if the unit has power. First High voltage (240) volts and then check for low voltage (24) volts.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 20, 2007, 07:28 PM
    There should be a disconnect outside at the unit. It must be on, and if fused, the fuses must be OK. Force the breaker all the way to off and then back on. Then try it.

To do simple checks like this you do need some tools. A test light, a meter, or a voltage detector might be the best place to start with. I came across the niftiest gadget for trouble shooting, a voltage detector. They work through the insulation of wires. There are several brands. I have a GB Instruments GVD-505A, less than $15 at Home Depot. Touch it to a hot wire, and the end glows red. Find the doodad that lights it on one side, and not the other, and you have the culprit. You do not have to open up housings and expose electrical contacts. You are looking at where your hand is, not where the meter is. Most people are capable of doing repairs and will get it going and not get hurt if they use a little sense. The voltage detector makes it even easier.

If you have power to the line side side of the contactor, and to the coil, it should be closed sending power to the compressor and fan. Work your way back to where you do have power.
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2007, 08:25 PM
    If you find the unit has 240 volts at the contactor, it may be a safety switch breaking the control voltage, heat pumps usually have a loss of charge switch. If you are not familiar with electricity you may want to have a pro. Check things out.

May 21, 2007, 08:28 AM
    Thanks - I will hopefully have all of the suggested tools this evening, check things out and report back.

May 23, 2007, 05:07 AM
    Well, turned the breaker off and back on and the unit is working! Any explanation why a non-tripped breaker would do this? Better question - nothing to worry about unless it happens again in the near future?
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2007, 04:42 PM
    If it keeps running I would say things are OK, you may want to call and get a pro. To check things out just to make sure everything is up to par.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2007, 05:30 PM
    About the breaker that did not looked tripped. The 240 volt breakers are two breakers mounted together in some fashion, when one side breaks it does not trip the other side, in some cases, therefore you may not be able to tell if the breaker is thrown or not. So if you ever suspect always trip the breaker all the way off and then back to the on position.

Please rate this answer.
    GhostHunterBlue Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2012, 06:59 AM
    What if the unit ain't working after you turn the breaker off then on. The breaker has been tripped.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lennox A/C unit won't run [ 4 Answers ]

Hey all, I'm hoping to get some pointers. I noticed last week that while the fan on the inside unit was running in my house, the outside Lennox (HL26 I think) was not running at all. I usually don't try to fix this kind of stuff myself, so I called a local HVAC/Electric company to come look at...

Outside unit doesn't come on when thermostat turns inside unit on so no heat? [ 1 Answers ]

My thermostat will trip my heater to turn on. The inside blower turns on but the outside unit doesn't turn on. I can get it to go by turnign off the unit at the thermostat and waiting a minute. I turn it on and off until I hear the outside unit turn on. The problem is when the Thermostat turns if...

Converting a single unit to a multi-unit. [ 1 Answers ]

I know its possible and in my area there are a few homes that are perfect for it. Has anyone ever do this? What are some troubles that you could run into this? What are the exact steps to start the process with the state? If anyone can give me some personal insight or experience I would...

Size of ac unit needed to match a carrrier heating unit [ 3 Answers ]

I had a Carrier natural gas heating unit installed in 2003. Model number 58STA/STX 070 Catalog number 535-80105. My ac unit has gone out and the company I bought the heating unit from has gone out of business. What size ac unit will match the heating unit? Thanks so much!:cool:

Replacement of electric unit with gas unit in mobile home [ 2 Answers ]

#1 Dec 27, 2006, 10:32 PM vcavina New Member Join Date: Dec 2006 Location: California Posts: 7 Electrical wall heater in single wide mobile home

View more questions Search