Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dart01 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2007, 06:20 AM
    401K Contributions by employer
    Hi.

My employer (brother) is not contributing my 401k deductions from my check to my 401k plan. I had talked to his accountant, his 401k administrator at work, the 401k Provider (Principal, Horrible customer service on their part), everybody is giving me the run around.

Who legally should I contact to have this resolve? The Labor Department, IRS, a tax advisor, a lawyer (last resource).
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 20, 2007, 06:51 AM
    He is taking it from your pay and exactly what is he doing with it ? Holding it to make quarterly deposits, or just stealing it from you.

If you have check stubs showing he held it out of your pay, a lawyer is where you go, since this is a civil action and a criminal action. They could be charged with theft and fraud if they are taking it from you and not giving you credit for it.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 21, 2007, 10:35 AM
    From an article I found on-line at: Got A 401(K) Question? - Personal Finance News Story - WDIV Detroit

"Legally your employer must deposit your money no later than 15 business days after the end of the month. This means that it could take as long as six weeks from the time the money is withdrawn from your paycheck before it turns up in your 401(k). Think your employer is doing something fishy? You can file a complaint with the Department of Labor."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K deductible contributions? F1-OPT [ 12 Answers ]

I am currently under H1B since November 2006 and F1 doing OPT before that. During 2005 I was a teaching assistant while still in school so I used form 1040 NR EZ for my taxes. During 2006 I have contributed to the 401K in my company so I understand I should use 1040NR to be able to deduct these...

401K contributions [ 1 Answers ]

How much time can elapse after an employer deducts employee 401k contributions from employee pay, to send those funds to a third party investor?

401k Contributions [ 2 Answers ]

If I did not max out my 2006 401K contributions, is there a provision with the IRS to add money to the 401K for last year prior to filing my taxes?

C2C/1099 - Medical and 401K contributions [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have few questions about C2C and 1099. (I work remotely from my home office) 1) If I am incorporated and working as the sole employee of my company, Can I deduct part or any amount of the money I pay for medical insurance? 2) How can I contribute to 401K? Is it plain tax deferred...

How many maximize 401K contributions? [ 1 Answers ]

I am wondering what percent of people in the united states maximize their contributions to their 401K accounts?

View more questions Search