Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    inebriatedbum Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2007, 10:11 PM
    Installing subwoofer & amp
    I am trying to hook up a single MTX 800 watt speaker with an RMS of 400 watts & 8 ohms. What I want to know is... Does the RMS watts of the subwoofer need to match the RMS watts on the AMP? I have found many amps that output enough watts but the RMS is always lower than 400. Will that matter?
    NorCal68 Posts: 79, Reputation: 6

May 20, 2007, 11:42 AM
    It sounds like the peak power rating for the speaker is 800w. While the RMS (normal operating wattage) is 400w at 8 ohms. For maximum efficiency, yes the amp and speaker should match - but it certainly isn't an absolute. If the amp is lower, it can't push the speaker to it's full potential. But if it sounds fine to you, then who cares. Just be aware that an 'underpowered' amp will try to work too hard - so having a higher powered amp is a better idea. This is part of where the term 'headroom' comes into it.
    Hope this helps!
    Dave
    ... and I always appreciate an Answer Rating if this was helpful to you...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

400 amp service with 2-200 amp panels & 320 amp socket [ 6 Answers ]

Hi TK. I am running 400 amp service into my new contruction home. The electric compnay is running a single 400 amp line to the meter. I have to split it to the two panels at that point. You had told me once before that I need a 320 amp meter socket and then run 2-200 amp lines to the separate...

Car amp & subwoofer help [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 rockford fosgate power hx2 12 inch woofers in a sealed box powered by a 2000 watt earthquake digital amp. They sound pretty good but i feel they should sound way louder than they do. I also have a problem blowing the fuse for the amp and im wondering what may be causing it. Im thinking...

Car amp/subwoofer power questions [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Sony Xplode 1200W 12" subwoofer powered by a Rockford Fosgate 900W amplifier. I recently moved these components from a Mits. Eclipse to a BMW Z4. The subwoofer is barely working in the Z4 and the installers say it's because the power output from the factory Z4 stereo isn't as strong...

Installing 2 vers of Win OS - XP & ME [ 8 Answers ]

I am attempting to install 2 Win OS in 2 different hard disks. I have all partitions of the 1st HDD in NTFS format and 2nd HDD in FAT32. I plan to boot in XP from the 1st HDD and ME on 2nd HDD. However, so far I can only instal both in the 1st hard disk. Advice appreciated.

Audio Power Amp / Type of Subwoofer [ 1 Answers ]

I have an American Pro 1000W amp, Would the SPL10 1100 watts RMS - Dual 1 ohm voice coils Be appropriate for this amp? Please advice Thank You !

View more questions Search