Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ttoro21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2007, 09:06 PM
    FICA exemption eligibility for OPT
    I came US in 2001 as F1 visa status.
    I am working in a company from Jan 2007 as OPT (F1).
    My employer is deducting FICA (social security & medicare taxes) now.
    I am not sure that I am eligible for FICA exemption because I stayed in US more than 5 years (Somebody says FICA exemption is valid only for 5 years).

Tax experts, can you clarify that I am eligible or not for FICA exemption, please?

Thanks,
    Kwan
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 21, 2007, 12:19 PM
    Kwan:

Sorry, you are NOT eligible for the FICA exemption.

You exemption expied on 31 December 2005.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1 (opt) to H1 visa and fica exemption [ 1 Answers ]

Hi taxexperts, I am non-resident alien. (single) -- started working in march with f1/opt visa. (opt is valid until February 1, 2007) -- applied for h1b visa in July -- h1b was approved in August -- got my stamp in December 1, 2006. -- effective start date for h1b is January 21, 2007.

FICA exemption [ 1 Answers ]

I was on F-1 from September 2001 to May 2006. I was then on OPT from May 2006 to Nov 2006. I read that you can claim a FICA exception for only 5 years. My university and my employer did not withhold FICA taxes for 2006. Do I need to inform them and get the FICA taxes withheld. Thank you, Thomas

FICA Exemption [ 13 Answers ]

Hi. I notice during the spring semester of 2006, FICA was being extracted out of my paycheck. At the time, I was a half-time, degree-seeking student at FSU. Is it possible to get this money back from my employer somehow because of the exemption rule? If so, how would I got about doing that?

FICA exemption [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Thank you much for answering my question. I came to U.S on F-1 visa in August 2003. I have got my OPT in oct 2006 and it is going to be expired in oct 2007. I understood from your e-mail that I am exempted from FICA taxes. I have few questions regarding this. 1. I have heard that...

FICA Tax Exemption [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible for retired persons collecting social security benefits to be exempt from FICA Tax w/h on earnings? If so, what conditions must be met, if any?

View more questions Search