Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cnichols33 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2007, 08:31 PM
    Accounting and some.
    You need 28,974 at the end of 10 years, and your only investment outlet is an 8% long-term certificate of deposit (compounded annually). With the certificate of deposit, you make an initial investment at the beginning of the first year.

1. what single payment could be made at the beginning of the first year to achieve this objective?

2. What amount could you pay at the end of each year annually for 10 years to achieve this same objective.

Lynn
    bunnyKutty Posts: 60, Reputation: 5

May 19, 2007, 09:14 PM
    1)
    Present value of future cash flows = Future cash flow * PV factor @8% for 10 years
    = 28,974 * 0.463
    = 13,415
    2)
    Present value cash flows of an annuity * PV factor for an annuity @8% for 10 years = Future value
    Present value cash flows of an annuity = 28,974/6.710
    = $4,318

May 19, 2007, 09:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cnichols33
    you need 28,974 at the end of 10 years, and your only investment outlet is an 8% long-term certificate of deposit (compounded annually). With the certificate of deposit, you make an initial investment at the beginning of the first year.

1. what single payment could be made at the beginning of the first year to achieve this objective?

2. What amount could you pay at the end of each year annually for 10 years to achieve this same objective.

Lynn
    I am really starting to understand the concepts. However, the question about future cash flows.. I am not understanding how these numbers are correct when the person is wanting 29,974.. When they are putting away 4,318 at the end of each year, for ten years.. that comes out to 43180.. maybe you could assist, as I am having difficulty grasping this concept.. Thanks a bunch.. I am guessing that I'm reading this wrong or I'm missing something here.. I am very confused as is about accounting...

Candy

May 19, 2007, 10:45 PM
    the correct answer is as follows:

Present value cash flows of an annuity * FV factor for an annuity @8% for 10 years = Future value
    Present value cash flows of an annuity = 28,974/14. 487
    = $2,000

2000 each year deposited will earn return @8% and will accumulate to 28,974

May 20, 2007, 10:47 AM
    Hi there -

Where did you get 14.487... Is this the answer to the second question that was posted on the first post? I am still confused and do not understand how this formula..

Many thanks!

May 20, 2007, 06:34 PM
    14.487 is the table value for compounding factor @ 8% for 10 years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accounting [ 1 Answers ]

If there is land purchased at 15000 and a building purshaces at 75000 and the seller agreed to accept a down payment of 9000 and a 5 year promisory note for the balance how to I enter it into the general journal?

Accounting [ 7 Answers ]

PLease check my work. Peck Company pays its employees every firday. Its weekly payroll is 66,000. This year, December 31 fell on a Thursday. Directions: 1. Record the December 31, 20xx adjusting entry for unpaid salaries. Salaries Expense Dr. 66,000 Cash Cr. 66,000 2. Record the entry for...

Accounting [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently in managerial accounting and if anyone could be of help, I'd really appreciate it... here are some problems I have no clue how to solve: Shipping costs at Fisheries Inc. are a mixed cost with a variable and fixed cost components. Records indicate the company shipped 6000 tons of...

View more questions Search