Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    danaes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2007, 06:08 PM
    Leaky pipe
    My wife and I just took possession of a house and when we did our final inspection we fond that there was a cracked pipe that leaked water when the upstairs toilet was flushed.the pipe in question is located in the basement.it comes out of the wall and goes into the ground.the pipe was repaired but we are worried that sewage had been leaking out of the pipe and permeating the concrete.should we be worried and what should we do to clean up any possible health hazards?there was no sewer smell and the concrete seems to have dried out o.k.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2007, 06:35 PM
    I found a remedy from an 'older lady'. It will seem funny but it works on sewage and cat urine too.
    Put a bowl on the floor, add 1 cup of vinegar, let stand 3 days or until vinegar can be smelled in the room strong. It removes the odor and it does not come back.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 20, 2007, 11:11 AM
    If the vinegar thingy doesn't work scrub the area in question down with full strength bleach and let it set overnight. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stink from a leaky vent pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I am redoing my kitchen and when I tried to take the sink out the vent pipe literally came apart, as though it was not even attached. There was a terrible smell in the kitchen and we thought it was the cabinets. We took out the cabinets, and they did smell, we also took out the walls. When I...

Leaky kitchen drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My kitchen sink drain pipe leaks where the black U-shaped (p-trap?) screws onto the straight pipe from the sink. I've read that there is supposed to be a plastic ring or fitting that goes between the two pipes inside, and then plumbers tape on the threads where it screws together. Is...

Leaky pipe [ 7 Answers ]

My water supply line pipe to toilet is leaking how do I fix it

Leaky drain pipe from shower and sink [ 1 Answers ]

The drain pipe from bathroom sink and shower is leaking through the ceiling into the kitchen below. Can this pipe be replaced without breaking through bathroom floor?

Leaky pipe under kitchen sink [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I just moved into my new house and I have a problem with the kitchen sink. When water is just running through the sink and pipes, there is no leaking. However, when I fill up the sink with water (say to soak pots) and then let the water out, the pipes underneath leak terribly as though the...

View more questions Search