Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    linzey Posts: 8, Reputation: 0

May 19, 2007, 02:05 PM
    Kenmore 80 dryer
    IMy dryer stopped drying. It runs, but won't dry. I have replaced the heating element, the thermostat attached to the casing of the heater element, and the operating thermostat. It runs in timed and regular sequence, but won't heat. After replacing the heater element, it did dry for 2 loads, then went back to cool. After that, I replaced the two thermostats... still running cool. Ideas?

Thanks,

Ron
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2007, 02:07 PM
    Did you find a bad spot on the old element?

May 19, 2007, 02:24 PM
    The old element had a broken wire.
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2007, 02:25 PM
    Have you double checked electrical connections?
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2007, 02:28 PM
    Thanks for the bad rateing, It looked to me that you were just " changing parts" So I was simply trying to figure out if you found anything bad in the few parts that you have changed.

May 19, 2007, 02:34 PM
    Just rechecked all electrical connections as well as dryer vent. Airflow is good, but no heat
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2007, 02:35 PM
    Are there any fuses blown that you can see?

May 19, 2007, 02:38 PM
    Sorry, I am new to this. I didn't realize I was giving a bad rating... only that it did not help. What fuses? In the dryer, or wall fuses? Ihave power to the machine, so circuit box fuses are working...
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2007, 02:43 PM
    Usually there is some type on inline fuse between the electrical box on the dryer and the element.

May 19, 2007, 02:50 PM
    The wiring diagram only shows two thermostats and a thermal cutoff between the timer and the element. I replaced the two thermostats, but not the cutoff.. Now Sears wants to sell me a thermal cutoof package which also has a thermostat in it that I already purchased separately from them. Could the cutoff be the problem? I hate to keep buying parts if they are not needed...

Thanks
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2007, 02:53 PM
    That may be the problem, do you own a electric meter?

May 19, 2007, 02:55 PM
    I have a voltage tester, but have never used a meter before
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2007, 03:00 PM
    You'll need something to test Continuity on this thermal cutoff switch, it's possible that maybe when the old element shorted that it weakened it.
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2007, 03:03 PM
    Are you getting voltage to the thermostat?

May 19, 2007, 03:31 PM
    Looks like I am getting a reading from the power in side of the cutoff, but not the out side. Neither am I getting readings at the thermostats. I am going to run get the part before they close. Will get back to you after I try that... thanks

May 19, 2007, 04:20 PM
    Well, I'm back and have put the cutoff part in and lo and behold, trying to save a buck isn't always the best thing to do. It warmed right up. Hope it keeps putting out the heat. Here I am $130.00 down the road and all it needed was the new heating element and the cutoff. Meanwhile, it also has two new thermostats. Bad part is that Saers makes you buy a kit with a thermostat as well as the cutoff.
    Your input has at the least been reassuring to walk through the process of narrowing down the problem.I truly appreciate your help. My three days of frustration showed through very badly, and for that, I apologize deeply.
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2007, 04:42 PM
    It happens. Sometimes you over look the simple stuff. Places like sears usually care about selling the part more than helping with your problem, at least you have some spare parts that are still good just in case. Good luck, hope everything does OK!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore dryer [ 4 Answers ]

My dryer go on but there's no heat I just had it fix for the same problem. I was told it had a breaker that may turn heat back on. HELP I don't know where it is. Thank you.

Kenmore Dryer [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Gas dryer model 110.97584120. Once on it runs through the cyle, then stops when the timer reahes the off section, however you can still hear something ticking, and the buzzer continues to go off. The timer seems to continue to move and then the dryer will go on again on its' own, unless...

Kenmore Dryer [ 1 Answers ]

Please help! I have a Kenmore He3 electric dryer. I shut the door and the light in the back went out. I can't find my book to see what the light bulb part number is. Now the Dryer will not start. I can push the button and the time will come on the screen, but when I hit start, it just beeps. ...

View more questions Search