Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TANKGIRL77 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2007, 11:21 AM
    Summons what do I do
    I received a summons the other day..
    The summons said..
    You are hereby directed to serve a pleading or motion in response to the Complaint within thirty days after the service of this Summons, and file the same, all as provided by law.

You are notified that, unless you serve and file a responsive pleading motion, the Plaintiff will apply to the court for relief demanded in the complaint.

Now what do I do.. Do I deal with the courts or the company..
    I want to find out if its my debt and if the SOL has run out and what state will my SOL be for.. The St I live in now and the summons was filed or the ST where the line of credit was set up.
    If this is my debt it was a credit card I have no problems paying as I did fall on hard times at one time and this might be my debt.
    My question on that is if the SOL has run out How do I find out when to when I should be counting for the SOL.. This Company has Bought my acc from the old credit company.. so if I do need to pay this can I go back to CapitalOne and deal with them.. Or has this gone to far and I have to deal with the courts now?
    Thank you.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 19, 2007, 03:10 PM
    It sounds like you should be contacting the court that issued you the summons. But, I would first call the company that is demanding payment, with a witness for you on another phone line and inform the company that someone else is on the line as a witness. See if you can negotiate some sort of payment plan. I did this very thing recently. It worked. I have a payment plan I can afford. The person that I had on the other phone is a friend who is a CPA. But, I know that this type of negotiating may not work with every company as I tried it with another, and it didn't work.

If the company will not negotiate with you and they say that you should be directing your inquires/communications to a court, then I would find yourself an attorney.

For information concerning Statute of Limitations concerning debts owed, information that you find on the following site may be of help to you. I hope that it is. Statute Of Limitations For Debts

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

More on my summons [ 2 Answers ]

I am still very unsure of what to do and how to proceed. I am preparing to write a response, but do not know how to word it. Thank you all for your help! I actually got two separate papers when I was served. One was a "Alias Summons" This states very clearly that I must pay in order to...

Another summons again. [ 4 Answers ]

This time is on $500 from a company that I have not heard of and they attached a copy of a Promisory Note that I signed in November, 2001. I do not know the status of limitations in Florida. Probably $500 plus court costs and attorney's fees doesn't sound like much, but my husband and I were...

Response to summons [ 1 Answers ]

I was served a summons for a judgement on a credit card debt.I have 30 days to respond in writing to the court.I have checked my credit report which showed that no payment has been made in five years.I believe the SOL for Georgia is four years on credit cards.How and what proof do I need to...

Court Summons [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, my boyfriend received a court summons for an upaid credit card debt of 2500 plus interest. We tried to make a payment years ago but they refused because we could not pay in full-like $50 a month. On the summons paper it says for us to get a lawyer and we need to respond within 30 days....

View more questions Search