Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abbaschild Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2007, 12:53 PM
    Both the DVD and the CD Writers don't recognize that any disk is in the drives
    I have a DVD/CD drive and a CD-RW drive. They have been working for years.
    Recently, I have been having a problem with both drives. Once or twice they worked when re-booted. Now I am not getting them to work even after re-booting several times.

When I insert any recorded disk in either drive and click on the drive letter in my computer, I get the message "insert a disk in the drive".

The drives show up in my computer, and no yellow flag or "device not working" shows up in the device manager screen for each drive.

I tried removing and re-installing the cable, but that didn't work.

The IDE controllers in device manager all show that they are working properly.

The XP Home edition operating system is what I have been using all this time.

Wondering if one of the XP updates could be causing the problem?
    aaleemk Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2007, 01:00 PM
    Time to get a new CD & DVD drive. The Optical reader which reads the data from the CD might be bad.
    Hope this helps

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Samsung DVD writer reads only DVD disk,CD not reading [ 8 Answers ]

My Samsung DVD writer reads only DVD disk,when I insert ordinary CD ,it can't read.I need to solve this problem

Hard disk drives [ 2 Answers ]

My hard disk has 160 gb when I formatted it showed 127gb I want my memory to get back so what should I do,starting only it is showing 127 gb and now I am left out with only one hard disk drive please suggest me what to do?

CPU won't recognize Cd/DVD drives [ 2 Answers ]

I had a CD Bruner as my master and a DVD ROM as my slave drive. I pulled out my CD burner and replaced it with a CD/DVD burner. NOw it will not recognize any of my drives. I have tried add hardware. I have tried to disconnect my slave and only have my master. I can't seem to get it to recognize...

Recognize external hard drives. [ 8 Answers ]

OilMan6 :confused: 31 October 2005 0630 Hrs. SUBJECT: Both computers will not recognize three new external hard drives. How do I give these three hard drives the values of G:, H:, and I:?

2 DVD Writers and 1 DVD Rom [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Pent 4 with 512 ram, 60 gig HD. I would like to hookup my 2 DVD Burners so that I can make 2 copies at the same time from my DVD Rom.. Is this possible and what do I need to connect them? Appreciate any help folk... Oops, thanks folks, I discovered that this task can be performed...

View more questions Search