Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Angela123 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

May 18, 2007, 11:20 AM
    Theft of about 10,000
    I'm thinking I'm going to go to court for this. No charges have been made as of yet. I am a 19 year old female, with no prior record.

I stole the money by refunding it to my bank card at a place I used to work. I am willing to make restitution, and I do regret doing it. There was a prior history with the employer of discrimination which I did not file charges about. This has all happened in the past 6 months.

I was not charged with theft under 5000 when I was 15 because it was a crime of passion, and I paid full restitution on time.

Based on this information, I was just wondering what kind of sentence you think I'm looking at? I know I'll probably have to pay restitution.
    Probation?
    House arrest?
    Jail time?

Thanks for you help. I'm really stressed out.

EDIT: I live in Alberta Canada

May 18, 2007, 12:55 PM
    They just called my mom and told her to come down for a private meeting. I have moved away from the town that this all occurred in, and she still lives there.

Why would they be contacting family members before the contact me? Is that legal? Does it mean they don't have anything?
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2007, 01:00 PM
    I'm pretty sure they are contacting her to find out where you are, they may want to offer to settle this out of court. If they wanted to press charges it would be the police calling your mom to find out about where you are.

Or by "them" did you meant the police?

May 18, 2007, 01:05 PM
    They know where I am. They have my phone number, address and everything.
    By they I mean the previous employer.

I just think it's strange that they didn't come to me first. I also think it's wrong. My mom has nothing to do with this. I am an adult, and I feel it's uncalled for.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2007, 01:12 PM
    Well what have they done so far? they must have noticed the missing funds and done something for you to be worried

May 18, 2007, 01:16 PM
    Nope. They haven't even done anything to contact me. The only reason I have to suspect this is what's going on is my guilt, and because my mom called me and told me about this "meeting" with my former boss.

He wouldn't tell her what it was about, just said it was confidencial.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 18, 2007, 01:17 PM
    A store or private investigator or the police may question anyone about theft, this is not like a debt where your privacy is protected nor is it like you are a minor and have rights to have identity keep private,
    They may ask her what she knows about your theft, about things you havve bought. They may ask her to ID you on photos of you stealing as evidence it is you. Or they may ask yoiur mom if she wants to pay this back for you, ( esp if your family is well off) Rich mom and dads paying off stores for things their kids do is very common.

Your prior "problem" if found should be able to be used in sentencing, and it may depend if the store attempts to charge you with one crime or a series of separate crimes

May 18, 2007, 01:29 PM
    I understand that I don't have the right to privacy right now. What I don't understand is how my previous minor offence could be used in this case.

Anyway. My original question is what kind of sentence am I looking at? Any ideas?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 18, 2007, 03:07 PM
    Hello Angela:

Things are not quite that simple. There are lots of factors that go into sentencing, not the least of which is the crime you're charged with. I know you stole $10,000, but they might say it was $100,000. There are lots of if's and unknowns at this juncture. One of the biggest factors in your sentence will be the quality of your lawyer. That's something you do have control over right now. I would hire one immediately. I would ask my mother to delay her meeting till after you hire an attorney.

I get the feeling you don't think much will happen to you, so you don't appear to be worried. Having faced similar circumstances, I would be very worried, if I were you.

excon

May 18, 2007, 04:21 PM
    Well it's too late to tell her not to go. She already did. Aparently they think it's more like 25,000.00. So I agree. I'm going to call a lawyer on Monday.
    Expert

May 18, 2007, 05:11 PM
    The other offense, although tech sealed for a juv ( unless you were tried as a adult) noramlly these things can not be used in the trial to prove prior acts. But when it come to sentencing, they look at home life, jobs everything.

May 19, 2007, 11:05 AM
    Am I going to get arrested on the spot when I get served? Is that mandatory?
    Expert

May 19, 2007, 11:56 AM
    If they are merely filing a civil suit you are not arrested,

If the government files criminal charges, the answer is maybe, sometimes they will give date to report, Esp if you have an attorney and are working out to turn yourself in.

May 19, 2007, 11:58 AM
    Should I go down there and turn myself in now?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 19, 2007, 12:02 PM
    Hello again, Angela:

Arrested is a technical term meaning you've been notified of the charges against you. That is the beginning of a long process, and that's going to happen to you. You will be photographed and fingerprinted at the jail. Will they keep you there?? As things stand now, I believe they will.

In my view, the only way to avoid incarceration at the jail is to hire a lawyer who will arrange for a self surrender. You may or may not have to post a bail. Since you self surrendered, I would guess that you won't.

If you don't hire a lawyer to intervene on your behalf, of course the cops will take you to jail.

excon
    Expert

May 19, 2007, 01:42 PM
    Without looking back, I believe you are in Canada, they do often on some levels of crimes give you a date to come down to be fingerprinted and photographed, If you are sure you are going to be arrested, got get the attorney first, and work out and figure how you are going to get bail arranged if you can before you do anything else. And if they have a warrant for you, the attorney as excon and myself already mentioned will arrange a date to turn yourself in,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What would you do with $50,000 ? [ 8 Answers ]

Ok lets roll some ideas, what would you do if you have $50,000? What will you invest in? Let me know your brainic ideas but keep it away from pubs and stocks :)

500,000 after taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I'm Thinking Of Going On Big Brother And Just Curious If I Was To Win 500,000 How Much Could I Actually Walk Away With?

Sueing family for $50,000 [ 3 Answers ]

I sold my half of my business to my brother two years ago. All paperwork was done with a lawyer and he signed an agreement to pay me $50,000. He now refuses to pay any of it saying that he lost money in a previous business venture with me over ten years ago and therefore does not owe me anything....

Outstanding dept of $85,000 [ 2 Answers ]

I have an outstanding dept of $85,000. I will be working in another country for a while is there anyway they can attack my bank account if it's in another country?

Theft Under 5,000 [ 5 Answers ]

So I pretty much rock, I'm 19 from BC canada- aprehended this evening for theft under 5,000. Its my first offence - I was picked up by the stores security - it was a USED shirt worth like 6 bucks ( using it for halloween didn't have any cash on me) security wrote up a bunch of paper work and...

View more questions Search