Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bluedove3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2007, 11:07 AM
    18 year old refuses to Graduate
    I'm in Texas and my child lives about 100 miles from me, and she turned 18 in May 2007.

I understand that I am to keep paying her support until she graduates from high school. I am the first to admit that my child is not perfect and she has lived with me 4 times since middle school. Anyway, she has been kicked out of several schools for fighting and is now attending a Charter School. I was expecting her to graduate this June and just learned that she has missed over 45 days of school and will not graduate.

Her mom and my daughter kept this information away from me. The child didn't make any reasonable attempt to graduate. As far as child support, is there anything I can do to put more pressure on her mom and daughter to take her graduating from school more seriously? If she's not trying, I don't feel I should pay for her laziness.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 18, 2007, 11:21 AM
    File for custody, if the other parent is not able to force them to attend school, it is a sign of a bad parent and the court could award your custody and let you send the child to school and the other parent to pay support.

File in court to have chld support modified for the fact that the child has refused to work and go to school.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 18, 2007, 02:40 PM
    I agree with Fr. Chuck. You have recourse available to you and hope you use it. Also, what does your divoce papers say about the child support? Does it state you pay support until the "child is 18 or graduates high school, whichever comes first'?

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Graduate Programme [ 1 Answers ]

Admission into a masters degree programme in any university in USA without GRE to pursue any of these programme Materials Science and Engineering Biomedical Engineering Metallurgical Engineering Process Engineering

Graduate Programme in US Universities [ 1 Answers ]

Please furnish a list of univerisites offering Graduate programme in Biotechnology/Biomedical engineering/Bionanotechnology/Bioinformatics for Non-US Students.

Need 2 credits to graduate [ 2 Answers ]

Ok here's the thing... I was supposed to graduate this year from high school.. I had 2 classes and left at 9:30... I had some difficulty and what not and failed and missed too many days. What should I do about getting my diploma? All I need is 2 credits :( your help would be greatly appreciated.

Graduate degrees [ 3 Answers ]

In order to get a masters degree in a field, is it necessary to have a bachelor's in the same field? For example, if I get a business degree (BBA) from one school, and I get good marks and do well on the MCAT, could I apply and be admitted into Med School?

View more questions Search