Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nobear Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2007, 07:51 AM
    My ex-boyfriend wants custody of our son?
    I need to know if my ex-boyfriend who is the father to my one year old son is entitled to custody considering he has never paid any thing for our son?
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

May 18, 2007, 07:53 AM
    He is entitled to some custody. Money does not have anything to do with it. He likely will be awarded anything from weekends to every other week.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 18, 2007, 08:08 AM
    Forget that fact that you two aren't married and are separated. You are each a parent and have the same rights. If you do not agree on terms then a court will have to make a ruling, just like a divorce.
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

May 18, 2007, 08:08 AM
    If he sues for custody they are going to ask why he wasn't paying child support, and try to work out custody and support issues in the best interests of the child. You may be in for a bit of a battle. Yes, as the father he has rights and responsibilities, and can assert those rights. The vast majority of cases end up with joint custody with one parent having primary residence and the other having visitation and paying support... unless one parent is proven unfit etc.

You may want to start looking for an attorney if you think he's going to sue, or even sue him first for child support.
    nobear Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2007, 08:27 AM
    What makes a person unfit?
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

May 18, 2007, 08:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nobear
    What makes a person unfit?
    Drug addiction, a history of violence, proven neglect... it varies but must be serious for most courts to disallow visitation completely. Usually they award supervised visitation at least.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 20, 2007, 08:37 PM
    Drug addiction alone will not constitute grounds for losing custody. Conviction for purchasse or selling illegal drugs would. Think of the letter of the law, smoking cigarettes is a drug addiction for most people who smoke. History of violence is also way too vague. Conviction for repeated battery is less vague.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to regain custody of my son [ 12 Answers ]

My son's father is a habitual liar, dependent on his parents at 37 years of age, still lives at home with his parents and has harassed and threatened me. I used to live with his family shortly before I gave birth to our son, but before I moved in with them he and his mother denied our son and he...

Custody of my son if something happens to me [ 12 Answers ]

I am preparing a will and I want my oldest son to stay with his baby brother if anything were to ever happen to me (they have different fathers). I asked his biological father to sign an agreement saying that and he said no. He only sees my oldest son once a year for 2-3 days. Are there any...

Full custody of my son [ 1 Answers ]

Just this last Monday the 19 of march me and my ex-husband was suppose to go to court to0 change custody but guess what really happened my ex-husband didn't show and they referred it to the friend of the court now since my son has lived at my home for 2 1/2 yrs. Now my ex husband hasn't seen my son...

View more questions Search