Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blossom01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2007, 06:09 AM
    Starting my career
    I want to become a singer... where do I start?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 18, 2007, 07:39 AM
    Learn to sing?

But yes seriously do you read music,

But you will need to start singing there are open mic nights all over the county every week, start going to them. There are many other places you can sing such as nusing homes, senior citizen centers. All of these you don't get paid, but you get expereince.

Remember if you are singing "covers" the songs of other people, and it in public, there is a fee or licesne agreement you will have to have, that is why you see most open mic nights using original songs, not covers.
    darkness1970us Posts: 70, Reputation: 9

May 18, 2007, 09:30 AM
    What area are you in? What kind of genre do you sing? Can you play any instruments? Have you sung publicly before?

A lot of areas have websites of bands looking for members, but I can tell you from experience that singers are a dime a dozen. This shouldn't discourage you, but you should be prepared from some heafty competetion. Something's that almost any band is going to expect:

1) Have your own PA. The guitarest is bringing his own guitar, the drummer is bring his own drumes. Don't expect them to supply you with a mic and amps.

2) Write your own lyrics. Most bands, that are dealing with original music, have instrumentals laid down. If you come across as serious to them, they will be happy to offer you with MP3s to record your vocals on top of. Nobody is going to write the lyrics for you.

3) Be beautiful. Sorry, but this is part of the industry. People have to come to a show and stay at a show for CDs to sell. As a singer, you are the center of attention. All eyes are on you, and you have to keep them there. Dress the part for your genre, and make sure you stand out in a crowd.

4) Put yourself out there. Open mics are a great place to start. Write some solo pieces, and sing them any chance you get. Ever been to a karaoke show? Believe it or not, bands sometimes find their vocalists at these venues.

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Regarding my career [ 3 Answers ]

Dear sir, I completed my bachelor in electronics and communications engineering in August 2003 from VTU, karnataka,India. My result is graded as first division with 60.325%. I am a Nepalese and in nepal right now.I want to study masters in the field related to my subject in a developed...

I can use some help on starting a new career. [ 2 Answers ]

I've been working as a bartender for 12 years and suddenly lost my position because the city took the building I was working in, now I've had odd jobs here and there, but because I have really bad Asthma - which I'm working on to control - it makes it hard for me to find work in my former...

Career [ 2 Answers ]

I'm planning to go abroad for further studies in Computer Science, where as my uncle wants me to go abroad to get a commercial pilots license. What will happen, will I go abroad? If so which course would I pursue?

View more questions Search