Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    audit2000 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2007, 06:06 AM
    What branch of AC and Heating should I buy?
    I am in a process looking for new central air and heating unit for my home. I spoke to two contractors and here are my questions I would like to know to verify the contractor’s information.

1. My house is 1500 sqft. We are thinking about to add another 800 sqft so the total sqft in the house is 2300 or 2400. I asked the first contractor that I need the unit big enough for the addition. He told me I need 5 ton unit. Does he correct?
    2. The second contractor spend time to measure my house and come up with some estimate of the heating in the house and told me I need 3.5 ton unit for the total 2400 sqft house. I asked him why not 5 ton. He said if I have five ton then I paid more for electricity because the higher ton the more it uses energy. Furthermore, it will produce more humidity in the house because the unit run in a short time, it does not have enough time to taking out the air in the duct. Does he correct?
    3. The second contractor also tries to sell Goodman unit. I told him I hear that Goodman HVAC is not a good product. He said back then but now Goodman is a good product compare with the other company. He also show me a product certification from ARIDIRECTORY.ORG to indicate other guy claim 15 seer but under test by ARI only 13 seer. While Goodman product show 13 seer and came out 13 seer under test. I tried to get into that website but I could not get the information I need. Please let me know which branch should I buy?
    4. The second contractor told me that if I want the basis one such as 13 seer then the control pane does not have program to adjust the tempature such as 75 degree in the morning then 70 degree in the afternoon then back to 75 at evening. Does he correct that the more expense unit (16 seer above) has program control panel?

Thanks in advance for your answer.
    PurpleLagoon Posts: 42, Reputation: 5

May 18, 2007, 07:50 AM
    Trane
    JackT Posts: 260, Reputation: 19

May 19, 2007, 05:44 AM
    If the second contractor measured your house and determined you need a 3.5 ton unit, I'd go with him. A rule of thumb is 1 ton for 600 sq. ft. but that's not as accurate as actually figuring out what's required. I think a 5 ton unit would be too much and wouldn't remove the humidity as well. When it comes to air conditioning, bigger is NOT better. Goodman use to be junk but they have improved a lot in the past few years and I wouldn't hesitate putting one in my home. Just make sure you get one with a good SEER rating.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Farmers Branch, Texas [ 2 Answers ]

Farmers Branch became the first in the nation to prohibit landlords from renting to most illegal immigrants. The measure exempts minors and people 62 and over from having to prove their immigration status or citizenship. Families that include citizens and illegal immigrant members can lease housing...

Wrong branch wiring from a junction box? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently ran wiring for a flood light that shines over my deck. A friend who seemed to know what he was talking about told me I could "grab power" from a junction box to power the light. The junction box has 12/2 wiring running through it and the wiring to the light is 14/2. This did not raise a...

View more questions Search