Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    juanawin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2007, 11:49 PM
    Child support 12 years later
    As I explained before I was told I was not the father. If another mans name is on the bith certificate will that matter, can I get 50/50 custody, or visitation? What about my family I have 4 children by my wife and I am the sole provider.

Can she be held accountable too? She had to mention not knowing who or where the father was when she knew my people lived close.

Why now I just don't understand I have not heard or see her in 12 years, the other man must have left!
    tawnynkids Posts: 622, Reputation: 111

May 18, 2007, 10:32 AM
    What's likely to happen is this:
    1. Court will not take into consideration the past and what you were told, nor will it matter if your name is currently on the birth certificate or not.
    2. You will be ordered to a DNA
    3. Depending on the results of that you will either:
    a) be released from obligation of that child due to DNA returning the child is not yours
    Or
    b) you will be found to be the father and therefor will be required to pay child support, and you will have the right to visitation.

It is highly unlikely that you would be able to obtain 50/50. That will most likely not be in the child's best interest as you are a stranger to that child and can cause a great deal of emotional trauma to him/her. But rather you would have the opportunity to begin establishing a relationship with that child by limited and increasing visitation schedules, "step-up" plans if you will. Starting with smaller amounts of time to increasing amounts.

As far as arrears and welfare compensation, I believe that is up to a judge and the rules of your specific state.
    Your spouses income will not likely be a consideration when awarding child support, however, it can be. It really depends on the state the order will be established in and the judges decision.

Hope that helps.
    AFWIFE07 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2007, 04:38 PM
    My dad had the same thing happen to him- after 12 years the grandparents where raising the child and wanted more help- even though the mother wasn't helping at all.
    My dad was found to be the father and was ordered to pay support each month- now the kid doesn't even talk to him or anything- they just wanted to the money-

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child Support after child is 18 yrs. Of age [ 5 Answers ]

If there is a court order in a divorce decree that the spouse is to pay child support until the child is 18 yrs. Old or until out of school, but the child support was never received, nor was it taken before Family and Children's services to enforce it to be done, is it possible years later (child...

Child support 12 years later [ 2 Answers ]

How can support be order after 12 years of dening I am the father? Another man took that responsibility after I was told I was not the father. The bad thing about it is this woman may have been on the system, will I have to pay all that too? I am requesting a paternity test ASAP!

No child support in year don't want ex to be involved with child. [ 3 Answers ]

My ex has not paid any child support in 1 year. I did not take him to court. I really don't want him to be involved with the child because he has uncontroled mental illness. What rights does he have? My new husband wants to adupt him well that be possible and how? Do I have any rights that well...

Sued for child support after 15 years... [ 4 Answers ]

I got divorced 13 years ago when my son was 2yrs old. We agreed on no child support/alimony (married for less than 2 yrs). She is legally the custodial parent even though we have 50/50 custody (offsetting weeks). I actually have him more than 50% of the time as she often asks me to have him here...

View more questions Search