Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Juraj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2007, 11:10 PM
    Home A/C System
    Our Home A/C is almost 11 years old. It doesn't seem to cool as well as it did several years ago. I noticed that the Condenser Coils are badly corroded. What method and what chemical can I use to clean the coils? Thank You.
    Juraj
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

May 18, 2007, 05:17 AM
    Corroded coils cannot really be cleaned. If they are dirty you can turn off the power and back flush (from inside the unit to the outside) With a garden hose. Note! Do not get too much pressure on the hose because you can bend the aluminum part of the coils.

Your unit being 11 years old could probably use a good checking by a professional. It might be a bit low on refrigerant or the compressor might not be up to snuff.
    Juraj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2007, 07:08 PM
    I believe that I might have phrased the question incorrectly. My cooling coils appear to be OK. It is the cooling fins that are corroded badly from dirt and dust being sucked in. I contacted an A/C repairman and he said that they use some type of liquid and spray on the fins and then flush them out. I saw this done on a home repair show on TV also. Do you know of any chemical that I could use to clean the fins? The A/C repairman quoted me $124.00 to do the job. Thank you very much.
    Juraj
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2007, 07:51 PM
    It's just a condenser coil cleaner, there are several brands out there, you may have to go to a heating and A/C supply house to find it though. Be very careful, if not mixed right or you leave the solution on for too long it counld damage the coil and cost you a lot more money, I don't usually use the stuff unless the coil is coated in oil or grease. I would use hvac1000's advice and just shut the power off to the unit, remove the top and rinse the coil from the inside out.
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2007, 07:55 PM
    Keep this in mind, the service tech. gave you a price of 124.00, if you damage those coils it is going to cost you replacement of the coil or maybe even the whole unit. It's most likely your best bet to have a pro. Come out and get your system up to par.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which is the best home alarm system [ 4 Answers ]

We are having a new home built and we would like to install an alarm system. We are so remote it would take a officer 20-40 minutes to respond so we were thinking of using cameras so we can at least see who and maybe get a license plate number. Any suggestions or comments on which systems are...

XP Home operating System [ 6 Answers ]

:eek: OK... this one has me stumped... My son did something to my old(now His) computer, and tried to do a full recovery on it. There is an 80gig as a master, and a 20gig slave. Recovery stopped at 33%, installation CD's at 85%. I took the drives out and put the 80 gig in mine, recovered it and ...

Right cooling system for home? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1700 sq ft home. It is heated with radiators (water not steam). The current boiler is older (home is about 70 years old), but is in pretty good condition. I would like to add air conditioning for the whole house. What is the best and mose economical system for my home?

Home Stereo System [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of building a new home. I have done all the plumbing, heating and working on the electrical. After I complete the electrical I am considering installing a whole house stereo systems (ceiling and wall mounted speakers). I'm having a difficault time trying to located...

Map of Home Electrical System [ 2 Answers ]

Hi again. I just bought a new (to me) home and want to get a handle on the electrical system. The home has 100amp service with a breaker box (95% of slots filled). What is the best way to determine what outlets and switches in the house are connected to which breakers, and how much room I have to...

View more questions Search