Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Duckie64 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2007, 05:05 PM
    Being Sued by credit card
    I was served with papers this afternoon about an old credit card debt that I thought I settled but guess I didn't. I called the law office number provided and she was extreamly rude to me. I explained to her that there was no way that I owed that much and she said "Well you do now" I told her that I would be willing to make payment arrangements in order to keep this out of court and pay down the debt. The sherrif serving the papers said $1 a week would keep them quiet. I offerd to pay the debt that I'm sure I know I owe. So my question is What exactly does a judgement against you mean? I've also been told that if I write full and final payment on the payment form I send to them (check, etc) That this is all they will be able to collect? Is this true?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 17, 2007, 05:19 PM
    The full and final payment is a myth, not supported in most courts, esp after most checks are computer processed, not hand procesed any longer.

And in most states, the 1 dollar a month will not stop them from sueing you if you are in default.
    If they get a judgement it will vary by state, the worst they can do is take all the money out of your bank account and take about 25 percent of your paycheck. Some states have limits to lower paid people being exempt, and some states don't allow garnishment of pay at all, but a lot do.
    Duckie64 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2007, 06:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckie64
    I was served with papers this afternoon about an old credit card debt that I thought I settled but guess I didn't. I called the law office number provided and she was extreamly rude to me. I explained to her that there was no way that I owed that much and she said "Well you do now" I told her that I would be willing to make payment arrangements in order to keep this out of court and pay down the debt. The sherrif serving the papers said $1 a week would keep them quiet. I offerd to pay the debt that I'm sure I know I owe. So my question is What exactly does a judgement against you mean? I've also been told that if I write full and final payment on the payment form I send to them (check, etc) That this is all they will be able to collect? Is this true?
    So the best thing to do is to just make payments and pay it down?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2007, 04:02 AM
    How old is the alleged debt? Have they verified the correct party to the alleged debt?

File Notice of Intend to defend in the court, after that send a discovery request to the plainitiff attorney requesting the original contract your sing, a and accounting of the alleged debt and has the SOL expired.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am being sued by credit card co. [ 35 Answers ]

I am being sued (I guess) by Capitol One. I was served a notice 3 nights ago, to appear on March 1 at 1:30 pm, no court room, just the main address. It says it is a mediation/pretrial conference, but it is confusing. The debt they are listing is a valid debt, the amount is questionable. I through...

Being sued over credit card debt [ 12 Answers ]

I was recently served over some old credit card debt (about 10K). I am looking for advice on how to best handle this... we are back on our feet again but it kills me to pay for all the excessive penalties and fees. I've also heard that even if I strike a deal with the company, it can come back...

Being sued by credit card company [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Pennsylvania. I am being sued For a credit card in civil court. What can they take or do to me?

Being sued over an old credit card debt. [ 2 Answers ]

Greetings, I recently was served with papers via a Sherrif's deputy around 2 months ago. I answered the supeona and followed all of the proper channels notifying the bottom feeder collection attorney that bought the debt that the debt was incorrect, not mine, and that the statue of limitations had...

View more questions Search