Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dmremodeling Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2007, 03:16 PM
    Mold on sheet rock
    My mothers roof leaked for about 2 years, maybe longer. Now in the closet under where the leak was in the roof, I can see what I believe is mold, it is on the wall and on the ceiling, water had damaged the floor to a point I almost fell into the space under the doorway, the person who is fixing the floor said all he has to do to the wall is paint it with a sealer. Shouldn't the sheet rock be replaced? He said the mold that may be in the wall will die and not grow anymore. Is that true? One last thing, What about the insulation, Shouldn't that be replaced?
    Thanks, Dave
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 17, 2007, 06:24 PM
    I don't think he is positively correct and you should get a second opinion, and it sounds expensive and a lot of work.Probably why he wasn't truthful in the first place. He wasn't telling you what you didn't want to hear.

May 17, 2007, 06:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dmremodeling
    my mothers roof leaked for about 2 years, maybe longer. now in the closet under where the leak was in the roof, I can see what I believe is mold, it is on the wall and on the ceiling, water had damaged the floor to a point I almost fell into the space under the doorway, the person who is fixing the floor said all he has to do to the wall is paint it with a sealer. Shouldnt the sheet rock be replaced? He said the mold that may be in the wall will die and not grow anymore. Is that true? One last thing, What about the insulation, Shouldnt that be replaced?
    Thanks, Dave
    What would you do? Keep in mind in 2 or 3 years you sell this home as a part of your retirement
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

May 18, 2007, 09:39 PM
    Treat mold area with bleach (Chlorox) 1 part bleach to 3 parts water. Spray and saturate area. The black will go away. Let dry prime and paint.

May 20, 2007, 04:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000
    Treat mold area with bleach (Chlorox) 1 part bleach to 3 parts water. Spray and saturate area. The black will go away. Let dry prime and paint.
    Thank you, That's what I did
    soundman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2007, 11:15 PM
    To find out if it's really mold and not a stain, take a Q-tip that is dipped in bleach and touch the spot. If it turns brown, it's mold, if it stays black or goes away, it's just dirt.

Instead of mixing bleach with water, use an OTC mold/mildew cleaner. Works just as good but the smell isn't as strong and the residue is easier to clean/seal/paint.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2007, 09:14 AM
    Kilz, has worked well for me, covers stains well.
    Drywall and insulation may still need to be dealt with.
    Good luck
    Black Bear Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 29, 2008, 05:10 AM
    One must understand that mold is everywhere The fastest and Most Affordable Solution to removing black mold is an all natural Safe Shield mold cleaning solution and blocker. If you or someone you know has visible mold inside their home, it is best to use an all natural solution the changes the DNA Make of mold that destroys it and prevents the surface area having any mold amplification in the future. From what you said, the inside walls may be moldy as well, and, wet insulation is not a good thing. So. It's not that much of a job to cut out the bad drywall, and check out the insulation, and replace if necessary. Cutting out a section of drywall, replacing wet insulation, and re-installing new drywall, taping and painting is not that big a job to someone who has done home construction work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Link masterlist from Sheet to Sheet [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a way to create a master list of names in one sheet so that when you add or delete rows or columns in the masterlist the other sheets that use this masterlist will automatically add or delete the changes? How would I copy this list. I tried to link it as a formula but that didn't...

Dur a rock [ 2 Answers ]

How do I find out what the UL test results for the state of Florida are on dur a rock. I also need specs on fireproofing and wall assembly.

Sheet rock outside corners [ 2 Answers ]

Any preferences between metal and plastic beads for outside corners? Thoughts on pros and cons of each? Anyone prefer just tape? Thanks in advance. - Dennis

Falling rock [ 4 Answers ]

Hello every body I have this one question that I can't seem to solve. I know the answer is 52m but I can't seem to derive this answer even after trying different method and formula. Can some one help me answer it. Thank so much. It need to be solve through kinematic formula. A rock is dropped...

Hit a rock [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Sears Craftsman 2.0 mower. I hit a rock and now the mower is making noise. It still operates, still cuts, but the pullstart wire vibrates like crazy and it sounds like something is striking underneath. The blade looks okay and I don't see any apparent damage underneath. Any ideas?

View more questions Search