Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    caraloca Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2003, 02:25 PM
    Installing A Hd In Ecs K7ama Atx Mob
    Hi; I have a new ECS K7AMA ATX Motherboard with Onboard Audio and I am planning to build a PC.
    I do not have the motherboard manual but I read in a site that I can install only a hard drive not bigger than 40g but I would like something bigger, at least 80g.
    Is it possible to install a bigger one?
    Is there a way to do it so the motherboard will recognize it?
    Thank you for your help and time
    elina Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2003, 09:09 PM
    Re:  Installing A Hd In Ecs K7ama Atx Mob
    caraloca, hi, we meet again... :D.. how are you?

What did you mean by "this site"? Could you please point me to "this site" that told you about your ECS K7AMA motherboard limitation of not accepting HD size larger than 40GB, or so that site claims? >:(I would be very glad to see its proof in the pudding. That site is baloney. It is so ridiculous I don't even know when to start and stop laughing ;D

So, don't worry. Sure, your mother board will recognize that 80 GB HD size you want to put in. You don't have to do anything on that motherboard. It works fine straight out of the box as it is. Rest assured you can install HD larger than 40GB.

Just go http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/manual_k7s.html to download the manual for your K&AMA motherboard.
    The only limitation to any motherboard is its BIOS ability and its chipset, among other things, for accepting any capacity size of the HD.

Before 1997, any HD size larger than 3 GB was unthinkable. But thanks to HD manufacturers such IBM and other pioneering companies such as Western Digital, the 3GB HD size limit was broken as HD size became more dense and cheaper per GB. What that means is BIOS manufacturers had to keep up with HD size as the size got larger, since the BIOS limit was the main factor that determines how much of a HD size the motherboard can accept. Therefore, popular brand- name motherboards such as those from ECS like yours and especially if they are really new (the K&AMA was built in 2001)
    (with updated BIOS chip which is a given) will accept HD of any size. ;) ::)

caraloca Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2003, 04:42 PM
    You make my day, I was kind of dissapoint about the limitation.
    I will look for the site where I read about it to show it to you, I found it when I was looking for info about my motherboard.
    Thank you for all the info you wrote, very interesting points!!
    I will download the manual now.
    ;D ;D ;D
    elina Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2003, 09:01 PM
    Hi, OK , sure, please look for that site if you can find it.. I wait, :D ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing Windows XP from MS-DOS... [ 9 Answers ]

Im trying to install XP, this PC is totally DOS no any windows installed so no shortcut installation to make... Here: Everything are all set partition and HD formated... A:\>smartdrv (enter) A:\>e: (enter) E:\>cd I386 (enter) E:\I386>winnt (enter) Then when the windows files is...

Installing greenboard around a tub [ 1 Answers ]

When installing greenboard around a tub with an integral "tiling flange," should I install the green board down to the top of the flange or extend it down over the flange to rest directly on the tub edge or shelf? The flange extends 7/8" up from the tub edge (or shelf), is 3/8" thick and is butted...

Installing new os [ 5 Answers ]

Hi guys, need some advice before I mess things up again... I have two os xp home and pro on same partition, had enough viruses,trojan and worm but thanks to forum I have able to remove most of them. I am also getting error at start up 'secondary disk drive 0 not found' and also cd rom is not listed...

Installing tub on slab [ 1 Answers ]

I am redoing my bathroom and need some help with installing my tub. How will I be able to connect my drain, after I put the tub down? I am on a slab, and there are walls on three sides of the tub. I am assuming the previous homeowner did the connection when the wall wasn't up.

Installing a new tub on slab [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing a new tub, utilizing the existing plumbing. The floor is concrete slab. I have 3 walls surrounding the tub.My question is how will I be able to hook up my drain? I believe that once I put the tub down, I won't have access to the bottm of it. I am assuming the previous owner did this...

View more questions Search