Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ank Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2007, 01:00 PM
    Replace bridesmaid
    One of bridesmaids died suddenly this past week. I am in a real state as to what I should do. Do I replace her and if so how do I do that so that the next person I ask is not upset about being a "replacement"? I really don't know what to do.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 17, 2007, 02:51 PM
    How close are you to the wedding? What would it hurt to not find a replacement? Keeping that "spot" open as a way to have a memorable moment in the name of your friend? I realize that does throw the balance off at the wedding table, perhaps throw the balance off other parts of the wedding. Talk to your fiancé about this. Then do what you both feel is right. To ask someone else to replace your friend is awkward but that person would surely understand.
    alkaline Posts: 61, Reputation: 20

May 17, 2007, 03:14 PM
    This is a very interesting question.

First, let me say that I am so sorry for your loss. I am sure that you were already under a great deal of stress planning a wedding, and to lose someone that close to you must be horrible. My thoughts are with you.

I think you have two options here.

1) You can decide to leave her space in your bridal party open, as a sort of memorial to her. While I think this would be a touching and sweet thing to do, I also think it will probably impact the atmosphere of the wedding. If your wedding is close, or this person was very young and died tragically, drawing a lot of attention to this at your wedding could be very depressing and sad, and even cause your guests to cry. I know that sounds selfish, but this is a day when you are celebrating and want people to be happy and have fun. I think if you place too much emphasis or focus on the death it might overshadow the good vibes you are trying to create. There will be a wake and a funeral for your bridesmaid, I don't know if your wedding is the place for that. If anything, I'd say you might want to just give a toast to her at some point during the reception, or have a moment of silence.

2) You can find someone else to be your bridesmaid. This is what I would personally do, but the choice is ultimately yours. I don't think it is fair for the person to feel offended and like a "replacement" or something. For one thing, this was a human being that was irreplacible! Second, they should be mature and realistic about the circumstances of a wedding. You simply cannot ask every person you know to be in the bridal party, it is unrealistic and expensive. This person should be honored that you are inviting them to be such a special part of one of the biggest days of your life, not offended that they were asked later. I can't speak for everyone, but I would definitely step up and be a friend's bridesmaid in this circumstance. They're your friend for a reason, right? Because they are understanding and care about you! I don't think it is in bad taste. I think it will make the day easier for everyone.

I hope my advice helps a little bit. Like I said, this choice is up to you, and this is just what came to my mind when I read your question. I really do hope everything works out for you, and I wish you the best of luck with your new marriage!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pregnant bridesmaid? [ 15 Answers ]

Hi, I'm thinking of planning a family sometime next year,I'm on the pill at the moment!The thing is my best friend has asked me to be her bridesmaid in sept of next year and I don't think she wants me to be her "fat bridesmaid" as she called it! So I keep wondering when the best time will be,also I...

Horror Bridesmaid.or should I say ex-Bridesmaid [ 5 Answers ]

One of my bridesmaids (my fiance's brother fiance) phoned and told my fiancé that she didn't want to be in the wedding party anymore. I tried to call her myself to discuss why she is quitting (it is 3 months before the wedding and I asked her over a year ago to be in the wedding, it took 4 months...

Bridesmaid and best man gifts [ 5 Answers ]

I am getting married in August and my fiancée and I have already purchased gifts for the best man, bridesmaid, flower girl and witness. When is it considered etiquette to give them these gifts. Can I do it as part of my groom's speech or should it be before the ceremony? Many thanks

Bridesmaid issue - what would you have done? [ 10 Answers ]

Hey girls, This is my first post on this site and I am just looking for other people's opinion on a situation that I put myself into and handled like … I could - I might have over thought the whole thing but I guess I couldn't let it go. Anyway here it is: I originally only wanted my sister as...

Bridesmaid issue [ 2 Answers ]

I asked 2 of my friends to be bridesmaids 2 years ago when I got engaged. I haven't heard from them more than twice each in the last 2 years time. (We used to talk weekly, and hang out often). One of them got married, and I did get invited, but haven't spoken to her outside of that. The other moved...

View more questions Search