Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Retrotia Posts: 163, Reputation: 19
    -

May 30, 2007, 10:52 AM
    The B.B. could be explained in Genesis 1:1- In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. So everything is possible with God.
    I am hearing from some Christian theologians that I respect their views well, that they believe in a pre-Adamic earth (a gap theory) between Gen.1:1 and 1:2.
    So, the B.B. theory has the billions of yrs. Ago timeline -which is possible for Genesis 1:1.
    So, maybe one has to be an "old earth" creation/scientist to say the theory of the beginning of the universe was billions of yrs. Ago.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2007, 02:51 AM
    "Do not the Unbelievers see that the heavens and the earth were joined together (as one unit of creation), before we clove them asunder? We made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe? (The Noble Quran, 21:30)"

The above verse confirms for muslims that the whole universe was one before it broke apart, but I cannot confirm if this is the Big Bang theory scientists are talking about.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 10, 2007, 06:29 AM
    To believe in the Big Bang one has to believe in a God, since there had to be material to bang and material to be made into all the planets, all of the suns, all of the moons, all of the other things. And the energy to cause this had to come from somewhere.

So someone had to create the material and energy that was used to cause the bang.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2007, 06:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    So someone had to create the material and energy that was used to cause the bang.
    Who created the someone that created the material and energy?
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2007, 06:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    To beleive in the Big Bang one has to believe in a God, since there had to be material to bang and material to be made into all the planets, all of the suns, all of the moons, all of the other things. And the energy to cause this had to come from somewhere.

I think this is stretching it a bit. Many would say that the material formed itself... through the right elements and forces. In this case you can't really use the equation if A = B and B = C then A = C... there are too many other pieces of the puzzle..

I personally believe that there is a creator, call them God, or Allah, or snargok from Xanadu... I don't care... But I also believe in what Science is saying, and therefore, the idea of there being both a God and a Big Bang, is not so hard for me to comprehend. I don't believe that the bible is literal though, so I completely understand how those that do believe the bible is literal will have a hard time acknowledging BB, the times do not work out.

I also believe that it doesn't matter what the other person believes, I have my faith, and if they don't understand it, oh well. If I don't understand theirs, oh well. My beliefs are for me not for them, and I hope they will think the same.
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2007, 12:22 AM
    Comments on this post
    Curlyben agrees: What a great quote. Thanks
    Thank you Curlyben for your appreciation!
    :)
    deist Posts: 225, Reputation: 7

Aug 26, 2007, 10:51 AM
    The Big Bang is pretty much proven by the background radiation that comes from all points in space, & while it is not proof of a God, it is evidence of a God. Scientists believe the universe had a definite beginning in time at the Big Bang, & nothing in nature has ever been observed to simply begin to exist on it's own without cause. For lack of a better word I call that cause God. So, no, I don't believe belief in the Big Bang & belief in a God are mutually exclusive.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Aug 26, 2007, 07:56 PM
    As for the billions of years versus several thousand years, and evolution and the bible, The Bible says that God created the earth on the fourth day. On Earth, we measure OUR days based on the sun. If he was using a different reference point to call the length of time a 'day,' the universe very well could have expanded from a big bang, over several thousand/million years, and evolution could have happened over several more thousand/million years. The next 'day' came aquatic creatures and birds, the next day land beasts and then man. This seems to follow with evolution perfectly. Then again, on the seventh day he rested. That would be a pretty long week.

To each his own, this is just FYI.

To the OP, yes, the amount of energy in the bing bang seems to suggest at least some type of influence. They can coexist peacefully.
    kt1205 Posts: 125, Reputation: 4
    -

Aug 26, 2007, 10:59 PM
    I don't believe in od because I don't see any proof or where he could have came form or how he, us, or this world or anything is even possible. I kind of don't believe I'm really here
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

Aug 26, 2007, 11:30 PM
    Many believe in a big bang instigated by god, hence explaining how an explosion could happen without any matter originally existing.
    I once toyed with the idea of the big bang being part of gods birth, but I since found god and a church and learned my bible so I know that doesn't fit...
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2007, 12:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kt1205
    i dont believe in od because i dont see any proof or where he could have came form or how he, us, or this world or anything is even possible. i kinda dont believe im really here
    Just out of curiosity,
    If you don't believe you are really here then what do you believe, if anything?

Thanks

Aug 27, 2007, 01:53 AM
    I've often thought about whether we truly exist.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2007, 02:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cal823
    ive often thought about whether or not we truly exist.
    "Je pense, donc je suis" - René Descartes

Aug 27, 2007, 02:11 AM
    Wow, I'm amazed and enlightened
    Soooo... capuchin my friend... can I have a translation please? :)
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2007, 02:12 AM
    "I think, therefore I am"
    twilight-freak Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2008, 10:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Auttajasi
    "Can you believe in the Big Bang theory AND a God that created the universe or are they mutually exclusive?"
    Well, Say the big bang theory was true. Someone somewhere had to put something into exsistance to explode, right?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2008, 02:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twilight-freak
    Well, Say the big bang theory was true. Someone somewhere had to put something into exsistance to explode, right?
    And who put that someone into existence? (continue ad nauseum)
    twilight-freak Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2008, 01:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    And who put that someone into existence? (continue ad nauseum)

That's a good question, and for which I guess we will never know the answer
    jrwild62 Posts: 111, Reputation: 2
    -

Sep 3, 2008, 10:54 AM
    NO, Science and the bible are in no way connected. Religious types are knee deep in excuses because science has surpassed the Bible illusion. And they are pissed off. Consider this,, we all know the universe is Billions of years old, but the bible says it is only 6000 years old. Any more questions??
    jrwild62 Posts: 111, Reputation: 2
    -

Sep 6, 2008, 06:27 AM
    Absolutely not! The big bang happened billions of years ago. The bible says that the universe was created only 6000 years ago. You can NOT have it both ways. The religious types will disagree with this because it is absolute proof of their line of BS.
    Like I have said before, read the first 3 pages of the bible and tell me this is remotely possible. I dare you,, lol

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Big Bang & Ages of Earth/Universe [ 16 Answers ]

Has modern science proven the ages of the Universe and the Earth? Also, has science retreated on the theory of the Big Bang, or do most astronomers still hold to this theory?

Big bang & ages of earth/universe [ 2 Answers ]

Hello: I have a friend who claims that the earth is only 10,000 years old. He also says that the Big Bang never occurred as modern science says it did. Is there any "proof" of the age of the earth at around 4 billion years old? Also, is there any scientific "proof" that the Big Bang occurred...

Big bang from furnace on startup [ 1 Answers ]

Starting this evening my Janitrol furnace is making an exceptionally loud bang. It has repeated the bang every time since at startup. I have disengaged the unit, cleaned the filters and cleaned out the unit, checking the venting for obstructions (haven't seen any). It's late and pretty cold out...

Big bang [ 2 Answers ]

Why does my furnace puff loudly when first ignighting? It's a natural gas Hydro Therm with two burners. The pilot seems to be resting close to the primary burner? Help My furnace seems to let out a loud pop when ignighting it's a natural gas two burner Hydro Therm pilot seems to be close to...

Bohr theory vs modern theory [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone explain the differences between the bohr and the modern atomic theories in the description of the electron Thanks :p

View more questions Search