Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beagle_owner Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2005, 09:21 PM
    Still need help on my beagle pup
    I am still having the same problems as before with my beagle... the kennel training for us has been hell... I thought dogs aren't supposed to pooh in their sleeping space and eating place?. is it just a phase pups go through when they pee when they haven't seen you in awhile?. im getting all kinds of advice as to train her... rub her nose in it... but I'm not trying that do to the fact that she is a face licker!. and do to the fact that she apparently doesn't mind when she poops in her kennel and then walks all around in it... my wife and I are on the verge on getting rid of her... but I don't want to give up on her... beagles are really good dogs... and plus we have a mixed breed chiuahua that was giving to me by an ex co-worker who abused her for the same reasons I'm having with my beagle... now we housebroke her easily... ive tried everything we've tried with our mixed breed on our new dog and yet nothing... ive tried taking both outside to do the whole lead by example thing... but nothing... now I will take most of the blame here... because I'm not sure which method of housebreaking is best for beagles... therefore I'm not being consistent with one set training... so can someone please give some advice into what method is best... thank you
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2005, 06:30 AM
    I don't know of anybody that knows much about dogs that uses negative things like rub its nose in it. Have you tried the rack or wood shavings in the crate? She must be 4 months old by now and should be doing better. I do agree many experts seem to have spent more time with books than dogs to insist dogs won't foul their sleeping and eating place. Dogs can be stubborn little things. Do not give up now. Use the rack or shavings to make things easier to deal with.

Are her stools soft? If so, she could have a problem keeping her from going over night. Young puppies often come with a parasite called coxciliocus or something. Medicine fro the vet can quickly clear it up. Could have worms too. Nothing is going to work if something is causing soft stools.

What are you feeding her? I have seen no proof dogs need the more expensive chow, but it is important what they are eating is complete and balanced by AAFCO tests. Regular feeding of a dry dog chow and little else, makes for regular, firm bowel movements, easier to control. The more expensive chows, or house brand versions, do make for smaller, firmer stools, easier to clean up. The dogs can also go longer between bowel movements. You can switch to an adult chow now too, and cut back to 2 meals a day.

I wish I had a more solid answer. A friend went through some of this with a Lab this year. Her vet was slow to pick up the parasite problem. The more the dog is forced to have bowel movements in the crate, the longer it takes before they stay clean.
    jaynik Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2009, 01:09 AM

Put some newspaper down at the back door and when she wees else where soke the paper in the wee,and put the paper back at the back door{we had our pup 2 days and she is now weeing and pooing outside on the paper}you can only try it,she still has accidents now and again
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2009, 02:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jaynik View Post
    put some newspaper down at the back door and when she wees else where soke the paper in the wee,and put the paper back at the back door{we had our pup 2 days and she is now weeing and pooing outside on the paper}you can only try it,she still has accidents now and again

This thread is from 2005.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 14, 2009, 04:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    This thread is from 2005.
    Judy, did you RIP it? Sadly I can't shut it down, not in my power. My magic wand is on the fritz. ;)
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2009, 05:51 PM

TaaDaa ;)

>> thread closed <<

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Beagle puppy help! [ 4 Answers ]

I am a new beagle owner whose name is molly and is 10 weeks old. The breeder from which I purchased Molly did not housetrain her. I did some research and I hear that beagles are hard to housetrain. Well I'm stressed out because here I am with this cute puppy bad see pees and poohs everywhere... im...

Advice on new Beagle pup [ 2 Answers ]

I just brought home my new 9 week old Beagle pup (Daisy) on Thursday. Bought her at the pet store, she had just arrived that day. We kept her in our pantry with a gate across the door for the first four night, she barked and cried all night long, and peed and pooped. When she would start crying...

Need help beagle [ 1 Answers ]

My dog is 4 years old He has gotten very sick and I cannot afford to take him to a vet. He has become very tired won't eat and is drinking some water but not much .He is an outside dog he has had all his shots. I went and purchased some penecillin to see if that would help but his condition is not...

Beagle hellllllp [ 2 Answers ]

I have a beagle pup, about 3-4 months old. I got her around 8 weeks old. We have been crate training her, and we thought she was progressing well, but all of a sudden now she pees when she comes IN from outside. I may have her out for several hours with me, and as soon as we go in, she pees on...

My beagle has parvo [ 1 Answers ]

Well I've had a few post in here about my beagles bad habits... and I have not had to ask questions reason being my beagle (molly) has made a huge improvement... she has become such a good puppy... but anyway I've been noticing her stool to be slimmy and mucusy... and her throwing up... so I just...

View more questions Search