Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shanynpt Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2007, 07:43 PM
    Light works, but very dim
    We just installed a Hampton Bay Edgemont ceiling fan that runs with LED bulbs. The fan works fine, the only problem is that the light is very dim (think night light). Is this normal? If not, is it something we can fix or do we need to return the fan? Thanks for your help!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 16, 2007, 09:45 PM
    I think you have a remote. Try holding down the light button for about 10 seconds. It should get dimmer and dimmer and the go back to full bright.

May 17, 2007, 03:48 AM
    I checked the box, however, there is no remote, and the manual specifically states, "this light can not dim."
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

May 17, 2007, 12:37 PM
    I'm not familiar with this particular model.

If the lights are not controlled from a remote, how are they controlled?

Do the lights work when the fan is off?

May 17, 2007, 04:31 PM
    The lights are strictly on an on/off switch from the wall. The light functions with and without the fan - just very dim. If it helps - the model number is: 557-268.

May 17, 2007, 07:26 PM
    Is the light switch on the wall a dimmer? Try your multimeter on the feed side of the switch to insure there is 110vac, Then try shorting the two switch wires, did the bulb get brighter? I do not find Edgemont anywhere, are you 100% positive of your info?

May 17, 2007, 08:17 PM
    The light switch is not a dimmer as the fan states it cannot be. We're positive the current and voltage are fine as the previous light worked just fine! It is indeed an Edgemont model purchased from Home Depot.

May 17, 2007, 08:19 PM
    OK and what happened when you shorted the two wires at the switch? Do you recall the exact voltage reading when you checked it?
    Uber Member

May 17, 2007, 08:36 PM
    I can find the model, but it doesn't have a picture to show what type of light it is-- the sort built into the housing that is supposed to be dim, or a downlight. It has LED bulbs so I can imagine it is NOT supposed to be very bright. I would exchange the fan for another one and see if the same problem occurs.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 18, 2007, 06:05 AM
    After checking voltage in and out of switch. Check voltage at light kit.
    Uber Member

May 18, 2007, 08:47 AM
    If voltage was a problem at the switch, presumably the fan would not work also.
    HomerDepot Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2008, 11:23 AM
    Okay everyone quit asking about remotes, dimmers and correct installation. shanynpt is no fool. I too have one of these fans. The light pack is very dim blue LEDs (much like mood lighting). The only way to fix this is to install another LED light kit.
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2008, 12:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ceilingfanrepair
    It has LED bulbs so I can imagine it is NOT supposed to be very bright. I would exchange the fan for another one and see if the same problem occurs.

Jan 18, 2008, 02:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ceilingfanrepair
    I can find the model, but it doesnt have a picture to show what type of light it is-- the sort built into the housing that is supposed to be dim, or a downlight. It has LED bulbs so I can imagine it is NOT supposed to be very bright. I would exchange the fan for another one and see if the same problem occurs.
    Next time you are "repairing" ceiling fans try using an LED flashlight from Lowe's or HomeDepot. They atre very bright and use little power, that's the whole point. The new traffic lights are LEDs too as well as brakelights etc.. Do your research.
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2008, 04:12 PM
    You can be rude if you want to. I have an LED flashlight, and have used LED PAR cans. Neither of them are bright enough for me. You yourself said the LED light kit included with this fan is very dim.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2008, 06:19 PM
    I would measure voltage out of socket(without shorting) and see if that is maximum rated on Led's.

Jan 19, 2008, 08:33 PM
    We ended up installing an entirely new ceiling fan/light and have had no problems. It must be due to the type of LED packaged with the fan. Thanks to all those who tried to assist!

Jan 20, 2008, 06:27 AM
    ceilingfanrepair,
    Didn't mean to be rude, the questions about the "are you sure you did it right" got the best of me, sorry. Mmy point was that replacing the factory light kit is the only option since the LEDs included are dim, replacing them with brighter ones is the easiest solution rather than modifying the fan in other ways.
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2008, 04:54 PM
    I agree and also with the post above you.
    gr675 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2008, 07:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HomerDepot
    Okay everyone quit asking about remotes, dimmers and correct installation. shanynpt is no fool. I too have one of these fans. The light pack is very dim blue LEDs (much like mood lighting). The only way to fix this is to install another LED light kit.

What kind of replacement light kit do you recommend? I just bought one of these fans and would LOVE to get some real light out of it!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay ceiling fan - light will not dim [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan with light and remote. Remote is model TC707ST, but I cannot see model number of fan. Installing contractor a year ago must have discarded manual. This lighted fan has worked perfectly before, but now when I use the remote to turn on and dim the light, it will...

Fan works but light doesn't. Fixed and now the light works but fan doesn't [ 9 Answers ]

While I was at college somehow my fan stopped working. There is absolutely no explination from anybody but my mom did get a replacement so I didn't care too much. The fan has a ground from the mount(copper), ground from the middle of the fan(copper), a hot for the light(blue), hot for the...

Light works but fan doesn't [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all I have a Hampton Bay 60 In. Ancient Bronze St. Regis Fan and the light works but fan doesn't when I press a button on the remote to turn fan on the fan makes a clicking noise it just clicks once... anyone know what could be wrong? We don't have a wall switch. And the fan is indoors.

Fan works light doesn't [ 3 Answers ]

Any ideas on a windward II fan/light combo remotely controlled. I have changed batteries in remote, checked bulb and got a new bulb, when Press the light button on remote I get the light display and brightness but no light comes on. I was wondering if it might be the ballast, It is a 9"...

View more questions Search