Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MPDano Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2007, 03:54 PM
    Sewer Line Replacement
    Hello all,

I have been browsing the posts and this is a great site for tips. I am looking to replace my sewer line from my home in San Diego, California. It is a Ranch Style built in 1959. I can pretty much guess where my line is since I already have a (double) cleanout in my front yard. When we bought the house, they disclosed root issues, hence the cleanout. We have had zero problems for over a year and now we are being plagued with backups and or slow draining. I have snaked it a few times within the past 2 months and it keeps coming back. I did cut down a tree that I thought may have been the problem tree, but its still sprouting new growth. Does anyone know what kind of pipe (material) I may be up against when I trench down. Maybe how far down I may have to trench. How wide do I need to trench. What material pipe should I replace with?

Thanks in advance!

Leo:confused:
    ThomasCKeat Posts: 157, Reputation: 12

May 16, 2007, 04:30 PM
    Keep looking for alternatives. Did you have a look inside the pipe with a camera to see what is the cause? They also sell a chemical that will help eliminate roots that you can use once or twice a year and then maybe you don't have to replace the line. Any master plumber will come and send their camera scope in for a look

May 16, 2007, 05:13 PM
    This being my first home. I have been doing all my work myself and am strapped for cash. I have snaked and have been using that stuff you put down the toilet or clean out to kill the roots. I actually did it this morning. I will see the results today. I did call a plumber and they quoted me around $585 to Hydroclean and $3000 to do that epoxy inside pipe thing. The thing is, I am going to do some retaining wall stuff in the same area and I need to do this first, if I am going to replace pipe.
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2007, 10:37 PM
    I'm not sure what the state laws are in California, but here in Illinois you must be a licensed plumber to work on anything that connects with the city sewer.

May 17, 2007, 07:44 AM
    Nah, not in Cali. I spoke to one of the City Engineers and as long as I am not digging up the city streets or sidewalks, then I don't need a Permit or Licensed Plumber. I am just unsure of what material pipe and size I will encounter when I dig it up. I checked my cleanout this morning after pouring the root killer yesterday and so far so good. No backups, but I know it will return sooner or later. I just want to fix it now before I start putting my retaining wall up.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2007, 07:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MPDano
    nah, not in Cali. I spoke to one of the City Engineers and as long as I am not digging up the city streets or sidewalks, then I don't need a Permit or Licensed Plumber. I am just unsure of what material pipe and size I will encounter when I dig it up. I checked my cleanout this morning after pouring the root killer yesterday and so far so good. No backups, but I know it will return sooner or later. I just want to fix it now before I start putting my retaining wall up.
    You'll likely run into 4" concrete drainage tile, but that is just a guess.

As for replacement, Schedule 40 PVC (non foam core if available) graded to a 1/4" per foot with the least amount of changes in direction possible would be my first choice.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 17, 2007, 07:51 AM
    Your root killer may take some time to work since it doesn't necessarily remove the root, just kills it. I'm cheap so I go to the garden center and buy cooper sulphate in 1 lbs bags. Pour half a bag into the toilet twice a year. Youi may not need to do more if you also took down the offending tree. What is the material at the clean outs, PVC? If its PVC the drain isn't original. Roots in PVC are usually at the riser where your line enters the city main. CA is such a stickler on other issues re: homes so I'm surprised they said its OK.

May 17, 2007, 08:00 AM
    Thanks for these great answers. I did see that PVC (Black) pipe at Home Depot the other day. The area is on a pretty steep slope so I won't have to worry about getting the pipe slope right. Should I reinstall the cleanout? Its kind of ugly, but I guess I could camouflage with some small plants (NO Trees). The reason why I ask is that no one else in my neighborhood has a cleanout in their front yard.

I may just do that and go to Home Depot or equivalent and get some Copper Sulphate and do just that for now. Yes, the clenaouts are Black PVC and I am positive they are not original to the house.
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2007, 08:07 AM
    Thanks for these great answers. I did see that PVC (Black) pipe at Home Depot the other day. the area is on a pretty steep slope so I wont have to worry about getting the pipe slope right. Should I reinstall the cleanout? Its kinda ugly, but I guess I could camouflage with some small plants (NO Trees). The reason why I ask is that noone else in my neighborhood has a cleanout in their front yard.

I may just do that and go to Home Depot or equivalent and get some Copper Sulphate and do just that for now. Yes, the clenaouts are Black PVC and I am positive they are not original to the house.
    If it's black pipe, then it is ABS, not PVC.

PVC pipe is mostly white, but it can also be green or robins egg blue.

May 17, 2007, 08:24 AM
    What is better? ABS or PVC?
    Ken 297 Posts: 112, Reputation: 24

May 17, 2007, 05:01 PM
    If your house is 1959 it is probably clay tile.
    You will want to replace it with PVC pipe.
    Yes leave the cleanouts in place.
    How long a run is it to the property line?
    You asked how deep the line may be.
    If you have a cleanout outside you should be able to see the bottom of the pipe. If you have a basement you can check to see level it leaves the basement.
    Depending on the area you live in the depth can change dramatically.
    I have seen then twenty feet deep and you wouldn't want to dig them.
    In some areas the City will investigate and televise at no charge.
    In my area I will do a cost share with property owners if they have roots on the public portion as well as the private side.
    Then the homewoner pays for half the liner and the City pays the other half.
    Regardless of what you decide you should get a camera inspection before you spend a lot of money.
    Its money well spent. It shouldn't cost much more that $200 for the camera inspection, so shop around.
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2007, 05:19 PM
    I'm partial to non foam core schedule 40 PVC for anything buried below ground.

May 17, 2007, 08:04 PM
    Dano, you can buy fake boulders made from plastic that are deisgned for you situation. Menards has them but there is only 200 store in the US, don't know about HD or Lowe's.

May 18, 2007, 05:47 AM
    I would say around 20 feet from the house to the city sidewalk. I am going to measure the deepness as I can see the bottom through the cleanout. PVC it is. Good suggestion on the boulders. Yes, I have seen them at both Lowe's and Home Depot.

May 18, 2007, 08:17 AM
    If you are going to redo the line it isn't necessary for the outside clean out to be above the ground. You can leave it flush with the ground or even below grade. Growler's suggestion is what I've seen over and over.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 18, 2007, 10:32 AM
    What is better? ABS or PVC?
    We quit using ABS 30 years ago in my area. Go with growlers PVC. Good luck, Tom
    siteutilityman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2008, 09:16 PM
    I install city sewer mains and private laterals to the building/site where the plumbers generally take it from. Ken 297 is right. You should have it camera inspected. The sewer main will likely be deep and if your root problem is close to the street you could be in for some treacherous hand digging. It will probably be clay pipe but could be transite both were used at that time. Use 4'' SDR-35 pvc sewer pipe for replacement. It's light green, it comes in 13' or 20' lengths with bell and spigot ends. Use clay to pvc Fernco couplings. Make sure to haunch under the new pipe with good dirt before backfill. Check that the sewer slope is at least 2% (about 1/4 in. fall per 1 ft. length) Not sure what part of San Diego your in, but Ferguson in El Cajon will have what you need for sanitary sewer supplies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer Line Replacement [ 4 Answers ]

Hi - I need to have my sewer line from the house to the alley replaced due to tree roots. I was wondering if I can do this myself and what materials I would need? Can I use PVC and it is resistant to tree roots? Thanks! Nicki

Buried sewer line [ 4 Answers ]

How do I detect or locate my buried sewer lines in my yard?

Belly in Sewer Line [ 16 Answers ]

Because our plumbing has stopped up numerous times we had a camera video made. The last time it stopped up I ran the washer and sewer came up through toilet and flooded the bathroom. What a mess! It shows no breaks but a significant belly. Our sewer line is under the slab and the estimate to...

Sewer line vent [ 1 Answers ]

I replaced all the sewer line in my home. The only way to flush toilet is to unhook drian line to upstair sink to get it to flush. Otherwise toilet back up and then very slowly drains. Does this mean the vent is plugged? My line also goes into s septic tank.

Sewer line problem [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought a new old house (in Madison WI). The house sits at roughly the top of a hill. Shortly after moving in, I noticed that sewage seemed to have backed up through the floor drain in the basement. I cleaned up around the floor drain and for a while nothing more happened. Then I noticed...

View more questions Search