Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kitty_6_6 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2007, 12:24 PM
    Goldfish identification
    How can u tell the sex between fantail goldfish?

If u know please e-mail me at**EMAIL REMOVED**

Thank-you
    Xxx
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2007, 02:25 PM
    It's impossible to determine the sex of young goldfish.

The sexually distinguishing features only develop during the breeding season.
    When a goldfish has reached it's breeding age (usually 1 to 2 years old),
    Their sex can be determined then.

Males will develop breeding tubercles (looks like white pimples) on the gill covers and on the leading edge of the pectoral fins.
    Name:  male_gill_tubercles1.jpg
Views: 3042
Size:  11.1 KB

Name:  male_gill_tubercles2.jpg
Views: 2214
Size:  9.2 KB

The male vent (the under belly opening just before the anal fin) remains normal (slightly concave).
    Name:  male_vent.jpg
Views: 1869
Size:  8.1 KB
    __________________________________________________ _______________

Females will develop a deeper belly as it fills with eggs (sorry I don't have a pic of that).
    And their vent enlarge slightly and appears to stick out.
    Name:  female_vent1.jpg
Views: 2584
Size:  9.5 KB
    __________________________________________________ _______________

After breeding season is over, it's possible that you might be able to see faint
    Tubercles on the male. Otherwise, they will go back to looking the same.

I have 1 male out of 5 that has visible tubercles year round.

There is a lot of misinformation on the internet about sexing goldfish because sexing them is rather hard.
    People like to say that they can be sexed by bright colors, size of fins, different lines that may appear on their bodies,etc ; however it's all inaccurate information.

The only sure way to tell them apart is how I just explained it.

If you have anymore questions, I'm happy to help.

Kae

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

This is actually about my goldfish. [ 7 Answers ]

My goldfish has been very sick for about a week now. At first me and my girlfriend thought she had swim blatter. By feeding her peas (which I was told worked when they had swim blatter) helped her and she seemed fine for about a day and a half. That night we noticed her tail finn was not fully...

Goldfish [ 1 Answers ]

I have two new goldfish just put into a fish bowl yesterday and now today the water is cloudy. What should I do?

My goldfish [ 3 Answers ]

I have a new tank with 4 goldfish I want to know if I can put the cycle nutrafin in the water while the fish are in the tank and can someone please tell me if goldfish need oxygen meaning if the do what can I buy to help them get it I have a filter but what else do I need ?

My goldfish [ 1 Answers ]

Lately my goldfish have been swimming around the top a lot. :confused: They will go a little above the water and come back down.:confused: They will go near the bubbles and come back down. Sometimes they will go all the way down. But most of the time they are swimming around the top. Why are they...

Goldfish Help [ 3 Answers ]

I have had a goldfish for 6 years and she has survived a lot of sickness! I live in a small apartment and am currently having some remodeling work done. Since the work has begun, my goldfish tank has become very cloudy and I believe it is from the incredible dust being caused by the construction....

View more questions Search