Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brookline Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2007, 06:34 AM
    Can I get out of an unsigned lease?
    I signed a lease for an apartment in Brookline, MA, and sent in my check for the 1st month rent. (The lease starts in September). I still owe a last month and 1/2 security deposit. My landlord has not yet signed my lease - and will do so once all payment is in.

I just received some financial/health situations that may effect being able to afford this place come September, and monthly afterward. This new place would now drain me! Can I cancel this deal? Not all money has been received/lease signed.

If yes, should I contact my realtor or the landlord (who I've had no contact)? How should I proceed? Can I recoop any money?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 16, 2007, 06:51 AM
    Since the landlord has the signed lease, all they have to do is pick up a pen and its executed. However, with the time frame you have, I would go to the landlord and explain your circumstances and ask out. They should have enough time to re rent the unit. At worst you will lose the money you already paid.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 16, 2007, 07:00 AM
    Yes it sounds like you have a nice landlord, since they were letting you pay 1/2 deposit and owe the other 1/2 and still even owe lasts months rent. Most likely they will expect last months rent, ( and that is only fair , right? ) but they sound like someone that will work with you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking an unsigned lease [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Ft Lauderdale Fl and I am 7 months into a leasing contract. Unfortunately, I want to break my lease now for more than one reasons. My wife is allergic to something either in the apartment or on the complex; her throat gets irritated to often and she has to buy allergy medications all the...

Lease unsigned by landlord [ 1 Answers ]

My landlord never signed my 10-month lease and says that he does not have to because the lease is for less than a year. There is no place for him to sign the lease. It is my understanding that if the landlord does not sign a written lease, it is a month-to-month agreement and may be terminated...

Unsigned Lease [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have been living in my apartment for a year ending this month. During this time we have had some very unsatisfactory maintenance experiences with our landlord. Including a roof leak that was called in but never looked at, electronics damaged as a result of that leak for which there was no...

Unsigned lease, but verbal commitment - legally binding? [ 7 Answers ]

I recently leased a large commercial space in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, but have not yet signed the lease. I have paid 2 months rent as a deposit, and was given 3 months rent free to do renovations. I am now in my first week of business, and things are very slow. What I need to know is, am I...

Another question about that unsigned lease [ 3 Answers ]

Brief summary: Did a 6-month rental starting on 11/29/06. Am in the process of buying a house. Landlord still hasn't given me a signed copy of the lease, after asking for it repeatedly. And today, I come home to find a note on my door saying my lease expires April 30, they've loved having...

View more questions Search