Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fdguy415 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2007, 06:07 AM
    John Deere L110 Loud Exhaust, glowing red muffler
    Hi,

Recently, my JD L110's exhaust became very load, started backfiring when shut down, has a strange odor, and when I lifted the hood I noticed that the muffler and exhaust was glowing red... any ideas?

Thanks!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 16, 2007, 08:05 AM
    Your engine is over heating. Check the fan on the top for debris and pressure wash the engine block when it is totally cooled. Spray with a engine degreaser prior to the pressure wash. Have you done any recent work and is oil consumption normal?

May 16, 2007, 10:16 AM
    I haven't done any work on it. I changed the oil last year, but did not check it this year yet. I was towing a heavy trailer at the time... could that be the culprit?

May 16, 2007, 10:20 AM
    It could certainly have a affect on the engine. See how well your engine operates with no load, just idling and then during normal operation. If it stays cool I'd skip that heavy trailer. The L110 is a lawn tractor not a garden tractor so it isn't designed for anything much heavier than lawn work.

May 17, 2007, 11:18 AM
    Well, I started it up today, and it was still very loud, and backfiring... something is definitely wrong. The oil is clean and full, air filter is clean... any other ideas?

May 17, 2007, 11:18 AM
    Where is the fan on this?

May 17, 2007, 07:30 PM
    When you raise the hood you should be looking down at a round shroud, the fan is under the screen in the center, clean the screen. How many hours are on this engine? I'm starting to wonder if you haven't blown your head gasket. Do you know how to do a compressuion test? If so do one and come back.

May 19, 2007, 07:25 AM
    The fan is running. I did a compression test this morning, it was 40, 50, 60, 80 (with each crank), and topped out and held at 80. What does that tell us? I also took a pic of the glowing exhaust, and I'll try to email it to you.. it's too big to post here. Thanks for all your help!

May 19, 2007, 07:36 AM
    Here's a pic of the glowing exhaust... it ran for about 30 seconds at this point.
    Attached Images

May 19, 2007, 07:41 AM
    Here's another one from further away. This tractor is 3 years old.
    Attached Images

IR0NH0RSE Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Nov 15, 2007, 08:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fdguy415
    Hi,

Recently, my JD L110's exhaust became very load, started backfiring when shut down, has a strange odor, and when I lifted the hood I noticed that the muffler and exhaust was glowing red...any ideas?

Thanks!
    Check for intake leaks which lean the mixture out and cause overheating. Check for debris in and around engine. If engine is equipped with an anti-afterfire solenoid, is it connected, and if so, is it working. Muffler could have disintegrated internally and is blocking exhaust, causing the red glow.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2007, 05:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fdguy415
    I haven't done any work on it. I changed the oil last year, but did not check it this year yet. I was towing a heavy trailer at the time...could that be the culprit?
    Best thing to do with a small engine is check the engine oil BEFORE each use. Think about it this way, it only holds approx. 48 oz. that is 1 1/2 quarts, if you are 1/2 quart low, that is really bad because you do not have much oil to begin with.
    jcarnivale Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Dec 27, 2007, 06:13 PM
    Just curious, what ended up being the cause for the glowing exhaust pipe?
    Malu Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2007, 12:11 AM
    Did you check your spark plug if the gap is too wide the engine can miss fire. Also check the muffler and see if the clamp is tighten and the bolts are secure if the muffler is loud that means too much air is entering into the chamber, also what grade oil are us using? The oil makes a difference on the engine will become sluggish. If your lawn mower is gear driven it should be able to handle some heavy weight, but not advised. The transmission should be able to handle the load if the engine is working properly. If it's belt driven not advised at all. The belts will undo off the pulley.
    Malu Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2007, 12:15 AM
    Did you find out the problem on your lawn mower?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

John Deere L110 Service Questions [ 13 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old John Deere L110 mower with 40 hours. 2 questions today. I am ready to change blades on the deck, and the owner's manual is not overly helpful. When loosening the blade bolts, do you loosen them counter clockwise for removal? Second question: After about 45 minutes of mowing,...

John Deere L110 Starting Problem [ 16 Answers ]

The mower will start, but it takes a while. When I turn the key it will just make a clicking sound or the starter will try to engage but doesn't seem to have enough power to turn the flywheel. I replaced the starter thinking that is the problem. The battery was replaced less than a year ago. The...

John Deere L110 Carburetor [ 3 Answers ]

I have a John Deere L110 that's about 3 years old and it does not want to run it has little or no power and back fires a lot when it finally does start. I have tried the kohler carburetor rebuild kit with no luck

John Deere L110 Starts Will Not Move [ 2 Answers ]

My L110 starts but will move neither forward or reverse. I've check the free-wheeling gear (OK) and the brake lock (OK). Still will not start. I was attempting to drive up a steep incline (about 20% grade) with a flat rear tire. After spinning for a while, I shut it down. Now after replacing the...

John Deere L110 Riding Mower [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a John Deere L110 that I purchased used about 2 months ago. I have a snow blade attachment with it and was using it. I do not have the chains and weights for this yet. My problem is I was pushing the snow and my wheels kept spinning. So I got off the mower and pulled the mower...

View more questions Search