Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tesaba Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2007, 06:04 AM
    2 questions about water supply
    #1. whenever we run water in one room (kitchen) and turn water on in another room (bathroom) water pressure drops dramaticaly. And for example: if you are taking a shower and some one runs hot or cold water anywere else in the house, the person in the shower loses all hot water.

#2. we have a 40gal. Electric water heater, we run out of hot water way to soon for that size of heater, any answers as to why? Example: run out of hot water in shower in 10 minutes easely.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 16, 2007, 06:37 AM
    1) This is a volume problem usually caused by older galvanized pipes building up with minerals and choking down on pressure and volume.
    2) This usually indicates a faulty bottom element. When you run out of hot water from the upper part of the heater there's no water coming up from the lower section to replace it so you get a short shower. PS. Turning up the temperature won't get you more hot water. It will just make the little you have hotter. Good luck, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 16, 2007, 07:47 AM
    You may also want to check your dip tube. If it was not installed by a good plumber it may have fallen off and only taps the top of your tank. Test you elements first, they are more likely the problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Using PEX for water supply lines [ 14 Answers ]

I am thinking about using PEX lines for my new basement bathroom. Are there different grades of PEX and if so which should I use. Is the PEX that a Home Depot or Lowe's sell any good. Thanks

Water Heater Supply Leak [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. I have a 40 gallon Water heater that is approximately 11 years old. The supply lines have started to pool water in the recessions and then trickle down the tank. This just started. Before I used to hear the tank bubble when I would turn on the washing-machine. What do you suggest I do? I...

Air in hot water supply [ 1 Answers ]

Our hot water heater was replaced 5 months ago. Now I get spits and spurts when turning on the hot water. Sometimes the water will run a few minutes before the spitting and sputtering starts. Is there a simple solution for this?

No cold water supply to faucet [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Folks I have an upstairs half bath with washbasin in. The other day, the cold water stopped supply working. I've tasted taken the feed pipe from the cut-off valve and tested to see if the water is being fed to the valve by turning it off and on, I don't get any water through the valve. Anyone...

Water supply for new bath [ 10 Answers ]

Tom, I'm beginning to work on my water supply lines and have gotten most of the materials. I wanted to know if I should be concerned with backflow devices of any sort? Also, the plummer at H.D. told me that the male adapters that would connect my copper pipe to my shower faucet would not...

View more questions Search