Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Burd Posts: 60, Reputation: 3

May 16, 2007, 03:18 AM
    I don't believe in hypnosis?
    Recently I was told that hypnosis is a great way to get over an ex girl friend and that you can for get all about her and move on even if you have to see her every day?

But I'm still a dis-believer does any body have any info on hypnosis that might change my mind.

And how much does it cost?

And where and who can do it for you?

And in you own view do you think this is a good choice for hypnosis?

Sorry about the 20 questions thanks?
    bumblebeee Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2007, 04:03 AM
    Neither do I
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

May 16, 2007, 04:16 AM
    Now, please remember that I am a physicist, my whole life involves looking at data for anomalies. I am not very religious, I enjoy arguing in favour of scientific principles like evolution and the Big Bang.

Hypnosis seems to be a very effective way of shutting down the conscious mind and letting someone speak to the sub-conscious. I think some people maybe aren't as good at it as they claim, but I do think some practictioners can make a difference by appealing to the subconscious.
    See it as kinf of a dream state where they can get you to play out situations in your subconscious. They tell your brain that there's no need to feel anxious any more about your ex. It works slowly over a few sessions.

I haven't witnessed it myself. But to me it makes sense that it would work. I suggest you try it once and then make up your own mind.

I don't think it's magic at all.

Ignore stageshowy things, hypnotism has been used effectively for treatments of many mental fears/addictions.

Make sure you see a licensed guy licensed by a scientific body. In britain I would look for an NHS practitioner (I don't know wher eyou live).
    Uber Member

May 16, 2007, 04:19 AM
    Hypnosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is a good unbiased look at some of the risks, benefits and myths associated with hypnotism.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 16, 2007, 06:40 AM
    ** sorry for spelling, I could not get spell check to work this morning

Well I am religious, guess the "FR" gives that away, but I was also one of the first 100 people in the US, registered with the National Board of Hypnotheropy. I studied hypnosis to use in counseling and during my younger years even got off track and did some stage show in clubs and private parties, and also did the "stop smoking" circuit for some years.

In a clinic setting you can hypnoise about 80 percent of people, but can not do anyone that does ot want to be. In a government military sitting, using other method maybe somewhere around 95 plus since they would break a persons defenses down first.

The first time you go "under" it is not a deep or as good as the next, or the next.

And to answer your questions.

If you don't believe in it, don't waste your time, only those that want to be helped and want to make it work, will it work on

Next it has nothing to do with magic, supernational at all, it is merely a relaxed stage where you can access your subcoscience there a properly trained person can deal with personality issues

Costs can vary so much, if you go to a pyschologist in a climic who also does hypnosis in their practice can be 100 dollars a hour or more.
    If you find a Hypnotheropist ( licensed in some states, operating as consultants in other states) you will find 25 to 50 dollars a session normally. But it will take several trips to have any real effect

In most major cities, you look in the yellow pages and will find a list of several. You can do some web searches there are several accredition bodies in the US ( as well as several schools of training) the method of induction varies by the type of training all work, but they disagree.

It works great for fobias, for stoping habits of all kinds, to find issues with your childhood. I have used it for regression to childhood events to help people remember other peoples names, the license plate numbers of cars in accidents ( and of course to make the quack like a duck)

In relationships unless you are at a level of being obsessed, normally time alone helps you though relationships, if you are close to suicide or lost interest in life, I would be sure the person was a mental health professonal also.

But with a good hypnotist, yes it can help you move on,

But in general the state show while many don't believe it actually used the same method, but the hypnotist has learned to watch the people coming in and can tell by they way they act if they can be put under easy. ( plus they put one or two plants on stage just in case)
    But I can do a one on one light hynosis on someone and do a light tiricks in less than 2 min that normally convinces most.

I stopped doing counseling a few years ago, it was just too depressing, and I has having depression issues of my own. So I have not did any practice in over 8 years, but for the right problem this can help greatly.
    TisSheilah Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

May 22, 2007, 12:23 PM
    O.K. You're in good company. A well known hypnotist by the name of Jonathan Royle has a book entitled "There is no such thing as Hypnosis." The funny thing is that he goes on to show you how to hypnotize someone. He posits that hypnosis works similar to the placebo effect. The placebo effect may be the wrong term here as it generally refers to a substance (i.e. drug or solution) that works based upon the expectency of a client. The idea is the same. Some believe that hypnosis works via the expectency of the client: the client believes that a certain outcome will occur and, thus, they alter their behavior to make that outcome occur (i.e. eat less to lose weight).

I've been practicing some form of hypnosis for over 20 years. Honestly, I have a guy that I can't get out of my head, too. The problem is the more that I tell myself that I've got to get over him, the more I think about him and the worse it gets. I find it easier just to busy myself with other stuff (so I don't think of him so much). Eventually, the mental picture of the ex will fade to black and be replaced by a bright, happy, image of a new, more appropriate love.

I did something funny about it, though. I did a series of past life regressions. I stopped when I found a lifetime in which he was my sister. Let's just say, once I saw him in a dress I cannot think about him the same way, period! I don't really believe in reincarnation, but the mental picture is one that I find helpful now (because it's so wrong to pine for a sister). It works for me and that's all that counts.

You need to find the one thing that works for you and go with it!

As far as finding a therapist, I would recommend finding a therapist through the National Guild of Hypnotists, Inc. - Homepage. I don't know where you are, or I'd recommend someone for you. As far as cost, some charge as little as $60 per hour and others charge $250: it really depends on the therapist.

You can try self-hypnosis for free. You can create your own recording (find a induction script, a deepening script - they're all over the net- and use the following Getting over a Relationship script Free Hypnosis Script | Hypnosis Downloads.com). Listen to it and see if it works for you.

Wishing you the best of success,

TisSheilah
    Uber Member

May 22, 2007, 12:27 PM
    Uhm, just a question, do you know what the placebo effect is?
    acheybreakyheart Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2007, 02:13 PM
    Hypnosis does work for sure!! Positive affirmations are one good thing to get out of such things... and the most important thing is u need to believe in it.
    rawpotatoeater37 Posts: 244, Reputation: 8

Jun 29, 2007, 05:42 PM
    Mythbusters has already proved that hypnosis doesn't work to make a person fall asleep or do something in their sleep with our their knowledge. :/ too bad though

But I do believe that to a certain point, a profession could do something.

Hah I don't know.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 29, 2007, 06:19 PM
    Well the issue is to "do something" they would not do. You would not shot someone with a real gun, but if you thought you were 5 and you were holding a toy water gun you would pull the trigger, But it does not have a long lasting effect over all, must can help with tiggers to assist you in helping yourself.

And also most of us have some fairly wild thoughts that we keep hidden.

And of course no one really calls it sleep, they are in a very relaxed state.
    I have done it 1000's of times and it works and is very real.
    ultimate_user_name Posts: 103, Reputation: 6

Jul 12, 2007, 08:02 PM
    Many people have done tests over this very subject (including mythbusters) the general answer is that hypnosis can help you relax and remember things you normally wouldn't be able to, it CANNOT help you get over fears, send you into an obedient "trance", or get over an ex , you would be better off at a therapist for that.
    gallivant_fellow Posts: 157, Reputation: 31

Oct 6, 2007, 02:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimate_user_name
    many people have done tests over this very subject (including mythbusters) the general answer is that hypnosis can help you relax and remember things you normally wouldn't be able to, it CANNOT help you get over fears, send you into an obediant "trance", or get over an ex , you would be better off at a therapist for that.
    I, like FR_Chuck, have also studied hypnosis. It can absolutely help someone get over their fears. It isn't some placebo or trick on the mind like someone else said either.

To hypnotize someone, you guide them into a very relaxed state. Being hypnotized isn't a trance or a dazed state, it's actually a super-focused state, allowing whoever is being hypnotized to control their body. It is basically aided meditation. Let's say someone is scared of flying. First, the hypnotist would run the person through some breathing exercises and have them imagine things that make them relaxed and focused. Then, when the person is totally focused and is blocking everything else out, the hypnotist would have the person come to terms with their irrational fear. In their super-focused state, they will be able to overpower the parts of their brain that are telling them to be scared. A hypnotherapist is a therapist, except better because they can put you in a focused state, putting you in control of your brain. Psychiatrists often use hypnosis too. It's not some mystic practice, it's everywhere.
    mariezzz82 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2008, 10:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rawpotatoeater37
    Mythbusters has already proved that hypnosis doesn't work to make a person fall asleep or do something in their sleep with our their knowledge. :/ too bad though

But I do believe that to a certain point, a profession could do something.

hah idk.
    Hypnosis is not used to make a person fall asleep. The words, "deep sleep" or "sleep" when used with hypnosis only represents the "hypnotic sleep." One cannot make a person do anything that they do not want to do. That is why stage hypnotists only take volunteers, and the volunteer are generally people who appreciate attention and "performing." Mythbusters unfortunately began their myth busting with a misconception.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2008, 06:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Burd
    recently i was told that hypnosis is a great way to get over an ex girl friend and that you can for get all about her and move on even if you have to see her every day?
    Didn't read through all the replies so sorry if I repeat someone,

If you go for hypnotism you do not want to literally forget all about her because then you would forget why you broke up and you may want to try and get her to go out with you again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hypnosis for quitting smoking [ 11 Answers ]

I am thinking of trying hypnosis to quit smoking. Has anybody tried it, or had it work for them. I'm going to go to a session in July to see what it's all about. I want to quit smoking and I've heard that there are a lot of things to help, I think that to change your behaviour you have to change...

Does anyone have experience with hypnosis? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm looking for feedback from people who have experience with hypnosis, either positive or negative. Also, can you really learn to hynotize yourself?! This is something I've always been scared of but a practitioner has asked me to consider it. Thanks -

Don't know what to do [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a very small town there is not really any record label or studios to go to so how do I get started:confused: :confused: :confused:

Hypnosis - Has it helped anyone? [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone tried hypnosis to help lose weight? Has anyone tried 'Positive Changes Hypnosis Weight Loss' clinic franchise in particular? Thanks, Mike

Fear of heights and hypnosis [ 8 Answers ]

I've heard a lot of success stories about the use of hypnosis to quit smoking or loose weight, but what about getting rid of, or at least lessening a phobia? My fear of heights has only gotten worse and I'm worried that it's starting to affect my children. I freak out if they get to close to our...

View more questions Search