Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dmlanier7 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

May 15, 2007, 07:58 PM
    Vomiting sick puppy
    My puppy is 6 & 1/2 weeks old. We put a flea collar on her last night that specified "Do not use on puppies younger than 6 weeks". She has not eaten and has vomited quite a few times since then. She is taking in some water. We removed the collar at 6:30 am this morning, which was about 16 hrs. ago. She seems better after drinking the water but about an hour later she throws it up along with a white foamy substance. The last time she threw up was about 8:30 pm and it was yellow.
    What can I do?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 15, 2007, 08:16 PM
    If she is still vomiting in the morning, call the vet.

May 16, 2007, 04:39 PM
    I took her to the emergency vet last night. She tested positive for Parvo. I know this is a terrible disease for puppies. I had a puppy to die from it before while in the vet hospital and after 100's of dollars spent. I am trying to treat her at home. They gave her fluids under the skin and 2 shots, one for nausea and an antibiotic. My reg. vet gave her more fluids this morning and a shot of antibiotics. She gave us an electrolyte mixture to give her every 1 to 2 hours (1 tsp.). She has done better except she yelps and tries to bite us when we touch her in certain places. Is she sore because of the shots and big needles they used to give her the fluids or is this another symptom of Parvo?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 16, 2007, 07:21 PM
    I really hope for the best for your puppy. Recently there has been a whole series of sick puppies here that don't show the typical lethargy and diarrhea, but still have parvo. I hate to suggest the emergency vet for every sick puppy, but it really upsets me when I fail to for a case of parvo. So often a puppy eats something it shouldn't, gets sick, but is better the next day.

I haven't had the misfortune of personal experience with parvo. My guess is the tenderness is due to the treatment. Usually the puppy is at the vets' on IV, lethargic, and nobody ever said anything about the puppy being tender.

I deleted your other 2 posts. It is best to keep everything together in one thread. Just a little housekeeping I am expected to do. Please keep us posted.

May 17, 2007, 08:24 PM
    Hallelujah, Molly is bouncing off the walls again. Before we went to bed last night I thought she would be a goner by morning. However, by 1:30 am she was jumping and playing and looking for food. We kept giving her the "Rebound" that the doctor gave us, I just increased it a little bit until I could find out what else I could give her. This morning she was back to her normal self. I was amazed at how soon she got better. I called the vet and they said to mix a little bit of her food with the "Rebound" to make it mushy. She has been fine and we are increasing her intake of food little by little. Isn't it amazing what some love and care and a whole lot of prayer can do. (And it cost a lot less too) Thanks labman for being here. I know it made me feel a lot better knowing there was someone out there listening (or rather reading) and willing to give advice. Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Very sick puppy [ 4 Answers ]

My puppy is 2 months old and he has roundworms. I gave him deworming pills and now he won't eat at all. He didn't eat for a full day and now going on another day. He throws up at least every hour but he is still drinking lots of water. He is pooping out blood and a little bit of water sometimes. He...

Puppy diarrhea and vomiting [ 3 Answers ]

During the day I leave my 6 month old yorkie in a kennel. Today, when I came home she had diarrhea. Later on in the day she started vomiting. What do I do until I get her to a vet?

Sick Puppy! [ 32 Answers ]

I adopted a puppy from our local pound two days ago. He's about nine weeks old. At first, he was relatively playful, ate a bit (although not as much as I though he should), pooped once (solid) and seemed generally okay except for a hacking cough. I brought him to the vet yesterday, and he was found...

I think our puppy is sick [ 8 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I hope some can help. Yesterday, we noticed our 10 week old (we got him approx a week ago) puppy's eyes were watery (clear, no milky or coloring) and a bite of sneezing. So we immediately took him to the vet for a checkup. Vet says everything seems fine... healthy breathing,...

Puppy Vomiting [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a 9 week old puppy a few days ago. He has suddenly started to throw up his food today and he had a runny stool. He is still playing though. I gave him a bath yesterday. His body was still a little wet when I took him out to the bathroom in about 45 degree weather. Do you think the...

View more questions Search