Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jtran4321 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2007, 06:22 PM
    Can partial rent be considered "paid in full"? Part2
    Can partial rent be considered "paid in full"?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a store in which the rent for the past 3 years has been $9K/month. I have 2 years left on the lease. I've spoken over the phone and have many email correspondence with the leasing director of the realty company about giving me lower rent since the weakening economy due to high energy prices and sub-prime loan debacle have hurt my store sales. Initially, the leasing director was very eager to help me. He actually agreed that my rent was too high and wants to help me stay in business, probably because his company has four vacant unit beside mine right now. But, when I press him to only charge me $5K/month because I tell him it's the absolute best I can do if I'm to remain solvent, he dances around and is very slow to respond to my email for about 5 weeks now. He tells me he's either been too busy or he's spoken to his boss and is just waiting to hear back from him. So, about 2 weeks ago, I sent in a check for $5K for the month of May with an attached letter reminding him that, based on what we've talked about, it's the most I can afford right now. Well, his company cashed the check and it's been a little over 2 weeks now since they've cashed that check and I've yet to hear from him or his company.
    My question is: If I wrote on the letter and on the check, " the enclosed amount $5K is considered 'paid in full' for the month of May", can his company later legally sue me for the remaining balance?

Thanks, John

As a follow up to my first question: If my corporation which is the entity of my store bankrupts, can they still come after me?
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

May 15, 2007, 06:47 PM
    I don't think you can tender a ck with a note where you say "paid in full" - it's the written lease that governs the issue. Now if you go belly up or bankrupt then you are protected by the bankruptcy laws unless you gave your personal written indemnity / promise to pay personally. Check you lease to see if you signed personally if the corp doesn't pay.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 15, 2007, 06:59 PM
    If the corporation was done properly, if when you signed on the lease it was in the corportation name and there was no personal guarntee given in the lease. Many debtors on new coroporations require a personal guarntee on debts and contacts, but as long as you did not give one you are OK. Also you had to properly keep all of the corporation money separate from yours and do all book keeping properly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

A/C or Heat does not work w/thermostat set "on" or "auto". [ 22 Answers ]

A/C or Heat doesn't work in "on" or "auto". Fan will not come on at the "on" position either. I changed the batteries in the thermostat. I also read somewhere to disconnect the "Y" and hold it to the "R" on the thermostat for two minutes. That will tell me if the thermostat is the problem. ...

Can partial rent be considered "paid in full"? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a store in which the rent for the past 3 years has been $9K/month. I have 2 years left on the lease. I've spoken over the phone and have many email correspondence with the leasing director of the realty company about giving me lower rent since the weakening economy due to high energy...

Did'nt get what we paid for. Part2 [ 3 Answers ]

Please refer to the original post: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/small-claims/didnt-get-what-we-paid-25905.html#post118654 We got the Manufacturer to pick up the Trailer, then we told them that the trailer could not be fixed as to be what we ordered and as to what they advertised, still they sent...

View more questions Search