Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigs100 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2007, 05:16 PM
    International divorce
    This gets complicated. I am a US citizen who married a german, in germany in 2001. After living in germany for 2 years we moved to NY (where I'm from). After 3 years she said she hated to US and had to move home, I hated germany so I stayed. Last year she filed for divorce I signed lots of paper work regarding lawyers who would work on my behalf, but late into last year I stop receiving anything. She has since moved to Ireland and I have no idea what has happened. I don't know where to start to finish the divorce or how to find her. What should I do? Is there anything I can do under US law to finish this mess? I don't think it can be considered abondonment since we married in germany.
    RetiredNavy Posts: 63, Reputation: 8

May 15, 2007, 05:24 PM
    From my understanding from friends that I know, if you marry in Germany then your divorce is to be held in Germany. U.S. laws have little affect. I take it that you are military, one other thing to check into is the SOFA agreement between the U.S. and Germany. If you are still active duty check with military legal. That will be able to assist better than other attorny. They can also assist with you legal issues.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

International Divorce [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I got married to a New Zealander in 97 and stayed in New Zealand until April 06. We have been separated since 1/06 and I have been back in the states since. Does anyone know if there are any specific requirements for divorcing in California? We have no children, property to split, or...

International divorce [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was married in Manila, my spouse is still there and I am in the States. What do I do/ what is the process for getting an international divorce? Thanks:(

International divorce [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I have a few questions involving a divorce between an Australian - me - and my American wife. Background: I was living in the USA from '98 until March of this year when I left because my wife and I separated. We were married in April of 2002 and resided in New York until March of...

View more questions Search