Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tnjcap1 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2005, 12:29 PM
    Parent quickly dying
    My mom was diagnosed last October 29 2004 with pancreatic cancer, she died dec 23 2004. We knew that it was terminal but had no idea how fast she would go. We never had a great relationship but I did love her and no matter when I needed her she was there. Here and my dad had just celebrated their 40th wedding anniversay a few days before. I saw her one last time in the beginning of December and celebrated what would be my last b-day with her. I told her that I was sorry if I was a bad teenager( I got pregnant at 17 and now am 32) and was trying to really let her know how I feel and that I was thankful that she was there for me no matter what. I don't feel like I said enough or did enough and it has been now 4 months since she passed away but every month on the 23rd I am a mess. All I do is cry and don't want to do anything. I do grieve everyday but it seems like those are the hardest days for me. All my husband says is that it will get better, no real I guess you can say shoulder to cry on etc. My 14 year old was REALLY close to her and is having a hard time also. I know it takes time but is this normal, how I feel and what is the easiest way to get over it. I guess it also hits me really hard cause I am hairstylist and her wish was for me to do her hair and makeup so I did but did not expect to see her on the morgue.
    Thank you
    TIffany
    tiggerella Posts: 184, Reputation: 13

May 18, 2005, 07:42 PM
    Feeling your pain
    I'm so sorry to hear about your mother, but can definitely tell you that I've been where you are now. My dad was diagnosed with lymphoma (cancer of the lymph nodes) in February 1979 and died in July of 1980. Although I had more time to prepare myself for his death than you did, I sometimes wish he had gone faster because of the intense agony of watching the man I loved dearly go from a healthy, hearty man to someone who closely resembled the pictures I've seen of Jews in concentration camps during the Holocaust. What hurt the most was the fact that, toward the end, he didn't even recognize his children when we visited him, so at least you know that your mom knew who you were - and that you at least had that chance to tell her you appreciated her while she was still coherent enough to understand.

I wish I could tell you that the pain will go away next week - or next month - or next year, but the truth is that, even after all this time, I sometimes will just burst into tears over nothing, like hearing a song he liked playing on the radio or hearing a joke that I know he would have loved. I thought I was abnormal until I spoke to my siblings and heard that they go through the same things, so don't think yourself odd for continuing to grieve for your Mom. You're caught in a natural process that will slowly resolve itself to the point that you will probably be able to eventually get through the 23rd of all the other months just fine, but don't be at all surprised to find yourself a total wreck as each December 23rd comes around. In fact, I'm seriously considering taking July 21st off from work this year so I can go and cry at my dad's grave for the 25th anniversary of his death... :o

If it helps, please know that I'll be praying for you every 23rd from here on... :)
    mike145k Posts: 123, Reputation: -1
    -

Jul 6, 2005, 10:22 PM
    Smile and be happy
    Well this is the hardest type of event mankind experiences,time will heal your sad feelings,I come to tell you,fear not for the holy spirit is alive and here.among the hearts of those who have chosen to believe in the truth.I with my own eye's have seen the holy spirit bringing comfort to some,as I stood there looking at the jagged light of a few different colors, appear from thin air,going from certain person to another only two or three I am not sure if the holy spirit was on the other side of the church where I was unable,to see,after the last church member was comforted by the holy ghost it turned to the south and walked through the church pew,before leaving it stopped and turned looking at me I froze in my pew,as I decided to move towards the holy spirit it walked into the air going higher and out through the walls
    karma Posts: 33, Reputation: 3

Jul 7, 2005, 02:27 AM
    I feel for you
    Last year, July 19th, my father died. He had been suffering with advanced coronary artery disease. He went through hell but still managed to stay alive, with relative health coming and going. Although the doctors kept telling him he had months to live year after year, he fought and lasted 5 agonizing years. Although his death was expected for some time, a part of me died every time he went on the operating table. I felt that I would be ready when his time came. He did not die of the disease though. He returned to the hospital to find he had a tumor on his liver and thus signed himself out of the hospital and took his own life. He survived many painful ordeals, and though it may sound strange, I wish he had died quickly-but for his sake alone. He was my best friend and mentor and I had become his caregiver when I was 15. His pain was so great he could not take it anymore, and the prospect of cancer on top of everything was too much for him to bear. I miss him everyday, and I take time everyday to wish him the best, where ever he might be. Sometimes I still talk about him in the present tense, and when I catch myself it hurts so much. I used to feel bad, that I could feel the breeze or write a poem, things he will never be able to do again. But the thing that helps me get out of bed in the morning and start my day, because sometimes it is SO hard, is the thought of his love. That's something that will never fade, never die. I can't tell you the pain fades, or goes away. The frequency of the pain due to thoughts of the deceased seem to fade though. I let the pain come-then go. I smile a bittersweet grin when I think of him. Sometimes, I break down. But I continue to remember him, everyday, and let his love fill my heart. When he'd make a joke, or sing along to a song he loved. These things have helped me. I hope they help you. I'm scared to think of the pain I know I will experience on the 1st anniversary of his death, but life goes on. And I know he would have wanted me to go on, and be happy. Best wishes to you and your daughter. -Teresina
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2005, 05:28 AM
    Grieving
    Hi,
    It is very normal to not have said what you really wanted to say to a loved one before they pass away. Some feel they never said enough, others feel they said too much.
    Give yourself some time, and just remember that she will always be in your memory and in your heart.
    One must also remember that they do not want to completely "close the door on the past", but must go on with their life, remembering the good things.
    Best of luck to you, and it will get better.
    fredg
    shenda Posts: 160, Reputation: 21

Jul 7, 2005, 09:12 AM
    A Mother's Love
    A Mother's Love is rare, its pure; honor her memory, fortify her legacy. She has imparted a piece of herself within you, that which brings life... celebrate it; that which birthed pain... correct it.

Understand your grief, know why you are grieving. Most often it is a matter of forgiving yourself for not doing All that you could have; nonetheless, we can not turn back the hands of time; however, we can brighten each day by becoming stronger along the way. Let your grief, become your joy. Let your grief serve as a barometer to give your All, to give your best from this day forward. I can not say, that from time to time, you will not have thoughts of your mother. It has been nearly two year since my mother passed, but I am confident, knowing that she longer suffers intolerable pain, and I have forgiven my selfishness desiring for her to remain. It was my selfishness that caused me distress. My unwillingness to accept change in certain aspects of my life. I had to learn to embrace the newness of getting things done.
    departedyin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2009, 10:58 AM
    Yesterday aroung 9 or 10am my mom passed away. I woke up around 10:28 am and waited to 10:30 to hear the alarm clock to wake her up. My niece was in the room so I told her to go wake grandma up she came back and said grandma isn't waking up. So I went in there to wake her up and tried and nothing I woke my dad up he tried but nothing. My mom worked hard for the last couple of days she said she was very tired she did so much she worked hard until the ends I don't know how I'm gong to get through this. This was unexpected by the way today was their annaversary 29 years but they were together for 33 years. Seeing your parent lying in bed dead is truamatizing. I can't get that image out of my head. Then we have to plan for a funeral I don't know how I'm going to do this. Im sorry for your loses I feel your pain HOW am I going to get through this.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2009, 08:24 PM

Oh honey. I've felt your pain. I, too, have had to see my Dad lying in his bed after he passed away. It is traumatizing and a memory that you will always have, but it WILL be outweighed with the happier memories of the rest of her life. That was a moment in your story, it is a brief moment of agonizing pain, but it is just that, a moment.

You will make it tgrough this because she wants you to. You get through it one day, one minute, one moment at a time.

I put into practice my Ten minute rule. Every day you have ten minutes in which you can cry, grieve, yell, sing, break down... But just ten minutes. You MUST allow yourself the time that is necessary to grieve, but you MUST get up off your knees, wipe your tears, fix your makeup, and face another day. Until the next day comes around when you do it all again. Soon, you realize that you didn't need your ten minutes one day, and you begin to remember more of the good times and less of her fiinal moments.

Pick a time that is your Ten Minutes. Mine was 4:30 while driving home from work. Yours can be when you know you have the time to yourself.

You'll make it. I know you will. I'm here for you.
    coreymcdonald44 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2013, 05:30 PM
    Hello Everyone, I'm departedyin. I just wanted to say I love each and everyone of you for your encouraging words that got me through the difficult times,I have healed in time. I thought it would never get better because of how much I depended on my mothern and how close we were... YESSS I was a MAMMAS boy. I can honestly say since her death I was pushed into manhood which was not a bad thing. I've learned how to fin for myself and how to appreciate the people in my life and thanks too you guys I know there are sincere, kind, empathetic goood people in this world. Thank you SOOOO MUCH I hope you guys still check this

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there a home remedy that can be used to dry up poison ivy quickly? [ 7 Answers ]

Is there any home remedy that my son can use to dry up poison ivy Blisters quickly? It seems to be spreading.

Disease makes children appear to age quickly [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to find the name of a disease that makes children appear to age very quickly.. Any information anyone can give me will be very helpful. I saw this on a talk show years ago but cannot think of what it was. Children around the ages of 8-10 looked like they were small senior...

Parent Company [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find out who is the parent company of American eagle Outfitters and what all do they own, but in general how would I get that info? Thanks

Please help quickly [ 4 Answers ]

Hi my name is Laura Hall, and I was born on the 21st of febraury and I need to no my future because I have been told I don't have a good life ahead please help. Laura

Step parent [ 1 Answers ]

Does anybody know anything about step parents rights? Do we have any? Where do I look to find out more?

View more questions Search