Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pooh6win Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2007, 11:57 AM
    Are they.Chicken Pox
    Hello there..

My 3.5 year old daughter has been exposed to chicken pox first of all. I am unsure if this is chicken pox as it is slightly different from what I have read and seen in pictures.

First of all my daughter came home from daycare on Friday with a fever and cranky and tired. Thinking nothing of it we just rested, and took it easy. Saturday morning I noticed a "rash" on her bum. (She does not wear a diaper during the day, only to bed) I immediately thought chicken pox, however I watched them all weekend and they have not spread, anywhere else, and she does not claim they are itchy. They are on her bum and a few on the top of her right thigh. They are white fluid filled. It is now Tuesday and nothing has changed.

Any ideas? Or Help? Advice?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 15, 2007, 12:01 PM
    How long after her exposure did you notice this?

May 15, 2007, 12:10 PM
    Well there is a girl that is off this week at her daycare with the chicken pox. However we were notified I guess 2 weeks ago now because the same little girl's brother had them.
    Expert

May 15, 2007, 12:15 PM
    Okay, then it does sound possible as incubation is approximtely 10 days, give or take a couple.

Am I right to assume that she has not had the varicella vaccination?

May 15, 2007, 12:30 PM
    You are right to assume that she has not had the vaccination. Unfortunately!
    So is it possible to have the spots appear only on one part of the body?
    Expert

May 15, 2007, 12:33 PM
    It usually starts either around the belly, under the arms, or in the diaper or leg area. If it is chickenpox it will most likely spread in a few days.

Do they look like little water blisters?

May 15, 2007, 01:15 PM
    They do not really look like water blisters, they look more like small red circles. They have multiplied a little, however not as much as I was expecting for chicken pox. I noticed the spots on her bum days ago, this is the 4th day now. What do you suggest, or think?
    Expert

May 15, 2007, 01:19 PM
    Has she been on any antibiotics recently?

Sorry for so many questions, but I am trying to narrow it down a bit before I send you off to the doc for nothing.

May 15, 2007, 01:31 PM
    No antibiotics recently. She has said her throat was sore, that's about it in the recent medical history. I am really unsure, she says its not itchy. Its not fluid filled sacs though like most pictures I have seen.
    Expert

May 15, 2007, 01:38 PM
    How long ago was her throat sore?

May 15, 2007, 01:39 PM
    Saturday this past weekend, the same day I first seen the spots
    Expert

May 15, 2007, 01:40 PM
    Running a fever?

May 15, 2007, 01:51 PM
    She does not have a fever right now. She had one Friday and Saturday morning a mild one. Since than nothing
    Expert

May 15, 2007, 01:54 PM
    You may want to get her into the doctor to confirm whether it is chickenpox. Does sound like it to me, but without a physical I really cannot tell for sure.

May 15, 2007, 02:01 PM
    Well thank you for all your help. I think I will do that :-)
    Expert

May 15, 2007, 02:07 PM
    Any time, I really wish I could help more.

Good luck to you and your gal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chicken pox [ 1 Answers ]

What is the usual medicaton administered in the case of chicken pox in a 12 year old boy?

Chicken Pox [ 1 Answers ]

My 5 1/2 month old son was exposed to Chicken Pox and I was wondering if I should be worried about it? Thank you for your help

Chicken pox [ 2 Answers ]

My 4 yr old had the chicken pox vaccine. A week ago she developed a headache, high fever for 3 days with a cough and sore throat. The 2nd day red flat bumps appeared on her bottom and legs, she's had about 30 bumps. They swelled and had white heads but never turned in to blisters. The first ones...

Chicken pox or what? [ 24 Answers ]

Well, we have all been sick in some way or another in the last two weeks. I need an opinion of what you think this could be. All 5 kids were sick: 1 was vomitting, had a fever for two days, head throb for a few days, then she was fine. 2 started this whole mess, he had a headache and fever...

Chicken pox [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am pregnant for 4 months and never had chicken pox before. This weekend I am planning to see my teacher who's child has been infected with chicken pox. My teacher has not been infected maybe because she had it before. Now, I worry that my teacher might carry the virus (not infected by...

View more questions Search