Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rajagursahani Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2007, 11:55 AM
    I have received a letter from attorneys office for debt collection
    I was wondering how long will it be before I reach a summons. I also live in the state of ca and will they have to sue me in California because I reside here? Also how long will it take for them to serve me a summons?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2007, 12:39 PM
    Send a letter disputing their claim, within 30 day, request valdication o fthis alleged debt.

See if they send you anything.

Summons? anytime

May 15, 2007, 01:08 PM
    I have already started talking to them over the phone about the debt. Which I don't think I should have. I have come up with an amount for settlement. The debt was with bank of america for 24,000 roughly. I have told them 15,000 for settlement however they keep calling me and changing the amounts on me. I have called bank of america just to make sure there is transparency. They said that account is still under bank of america but has been referred to a lawyers office (I talked to their recovery dept.). Before the law office letterhead there was a previous collectoin agency they actually were letting me settle for 14,000 which was what I should have settled for. Well this law office (mann bracken llc) has no jurisdiction in ca so they will have to find a local lawyer as well. Even though I have talked to them about the money should I still ask for that document you suggested?

May 15, 2007, 02:03 PM
    If I settle them, they say on the credit report it will say settled is that good or bad. It will not say paid but settled instead.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collection letter regarding an unknown TEN YEAR OLD DEBT! [ 10 Answers ]

My husband has received a letter from a collections agency which states that he owes nearly $700, which they are attempting to collect. The letter has the last 4 numbers of his SSN and lists another person as a co-debtor. I contacted the business regarding this claim and was immediately told to...

Received Summons From Collection Company [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, Today I received a summons from a collection company. I am being sued for money owed on a $1800.00 cell phone bill from November 2003. I reside in the state of California and am not sure what my rights are. My first question is do I need to hire an attorney? If not, what form...

Collection agency sent check back with letter [ 5 Answers ]

I received a notice from a collection agency around the 3rd week of Feb. 2007. It stated that they are attempting to collect a debt. They stated who it was for and the amount it was for. I did realize that I owed this. On March 2nd I sent them a check for $100 along with a letter saying that I...

Statute barred collection agency.. Draft letter [ 6 Answers ]

Hi Canada Bonded Credit Limited recently some how got hold of me. They are trying to collect on a debt which came into effect on Jun22, 2004. According to the Ontario Statute of Limitation, they can no longer collect on this. I wanted to send them a letter to "validate" the debt. Can anyone...

Red Letter bag at Post Office (UK) [ 2 Answers ]

I sent some mail from Belfast, UK, to Florida, United States, on the 4th Dec. In the Post Office the guy done what he needs to do, and tossed the letter into a big bag that said "Red Letters". What is this classification? What is a red letter? I thought red letters were letters that companies...

View more questions Search