Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    libbyr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2005, 01:54 PM
    Grinding noises in newer desktop
    I have a Dell 8400 computer about 8 months old. About Jan or Dec it started some really nasty grinding noises at startup that never cease even when the computer is, in theory, at rest. I upgraded the system bios soon thereafter and the grinding stopped altogether. I did another bios upgrade yesterday and the grinding is back and worse than ever. I flashed the bios back to the previous version but that didn't make it go away again.

My first thought is this sounds like hard drive failure, but after running the extended diagnostics provided by Dell, nothing came up. In fact the test ran quietly as well and none of the grinding noises came up during it. I did a full system hardware test following and it didn’t come up then either.

In addition to the grinding my computer is running slow and having all sorts of random things happen. Drivers for my mouse and usb wireless internet adapter have to be reinstalled constantly, and my dvdrw pops out unprovoked at random.

What else could be making that grinding noise? Is there any possibility this is linked to the processor or motherboard? That’s pretty much all the diagnostics didn’t check.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2005, 07:24 PM
    I'm not sure about dell's warranty, but is it still under warranty? it all sounds like it points to the hard drive.
    libbyr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2005, 08:10 PM
    It did end up still being under warranty, and Dell is taking care of it. They said it is either the HDD or the motherboard. Since they don't know which they're just going to replace both for me.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2005, 10:06 PM
    That's good to hear.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Strange noises! [ 7 Answers ]

Hi! I have a real mystery on my hands. Let me give you some back ground: My house was built in 1969 and has copper supply and drain lines. When using the upstairs master bathroom (either faucet, toilet, or shower) you hear a very distinct banging or knocking in what I think are the drain...

Grinding noise when turning right [ 8 Answers ]

Toyota Corolla 2002 I went on vacation for two weeks (car sat in driving for the duration). After I came back I noticed that every time I make a right turn I hear this grinding noise. The noise seems to be consistent with the speed (i.e. if my speed is fast then the grinding noise is fast). I...

Cavalier Noises [ 1 Answers ]

Some people I know are giving me a 1986 Chevrolet Cavalier, I don't know if it's 2 or 4 door, VIN #, or miles on it. They tell me that it is driveable but makes a little clunk noise when first put in reverse, but once it starts moving the noise is gone. They think it's the CV boot. Can anyone...

Engine making a grinding noise [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 97 honda civic with auto transmission. I noticed today when I reved the engine that when I let off the gas the engine made a very slight grinding noise. I was in park so I don't think it would be the transmission. While driving the car I have had no problems at all. Any ideas on what may...

I hear noises [ 9 Answers ]

My name is JC and I just moved into a house and I have been finding a lot of problems with various items but now it is the plumbing. I hear noises in the kitchen drain when the washing machine running. I noticed the washing machine is on the same drain line as the sink. Is there a way to stop...

View more questions Search