Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ej19403 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2007, 05:28 PM
    Paint over borders?
    I have borders in the rooms that I will be painting with new latex paint. Can I paint the room over the existing borders and then repaint the borders with a different color paint to highlight them, to make them seem that they are a new border without the detail and just a new paint color? I will 'blue tape' the repaint of the border to only paint them and NOT the walls that are now a different color.
    dave_s Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

May 19, 2007, 08:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ej19403
    I have borders in the rooms that I will be painting with new latex paint. Can I paint the room over the existing borders and then repaint the borders with a different color paint to highlight them, to make them seem that they are a new border without the detail and just a new paint color? I will 'blue tape' the repaint of the border to only paint them and NOT the walls that are now a different color.
    The latex paint might cause bubbles in the border. Can you try removing them first.
    1badchoice Posts: 227, Reputation: 45

May 20, 2007, 12:20 AM
    I think painting over any wallpaper is a bad idea. Only do this if there is NO other option. It's easy enough to remove the borders and leave said amount of space if you want to paint a new "border" of a different color. Wallpaper/border paper can easily buckle, cause bubbles, ripple, cause drips, etc. It's worth the extra time to take care of it first.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 20, 2007, 01:06 AM
    I also would suggest removing the borders. I don't know how perfect you want your paint job to look, but I would also recommend using the type of masking tape that is perfectly flat and has no wrinkles in it if you do want your paint job to look perfect. It costs a little more for the perfectly flat masking tape, but is worth the extra price if you want your paint job to look perfect. Any paint tends to "creep" under the edges of regular masking tape.

Also, if you do remove the border and clean up any adhesive that remains because of the border, using the perfectly flat masking tape will enable you to create a really crisp and neat border outline if you decide to paint a new border.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do we have borders or not! [ 14 Answers ]

I just watched a story about our borders and lack of being able to control them, and the guy they interviewed said the twelve million illegals already in this country, without documentation or credential, should be aloud to stay... because "they're here already" No account on how they are taking...

Paint mixing [ 1 Answers ]

What colour can I mix with terracotta to make a dark mustardy yellow colour please

Which Is Better Paint? [ 3 Answers ]

Which Is Better Paint Dunn Edwards Or Frazee In General Or Overall For Interior Painting?

To paint or not to paint [ 1 Answers ]

I will be moving into a new home here in the next few months and the basement will be not finished. I want to do a couple of rooms down there, so how do I prepare the floors, do I paint them with that green paint for basement concrete floors or do I prep it with plywood or paint and then place...

Cell/Table Borders [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, I'm currently trying to build a website for my new business. I know a very good base about html and Dreamweaver which is the platform I'm using to build my site. I'm having a huge dilemma, my business partner wants to see the website a certain way, but I can't seem to get the...

View more questions Search