Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    illini2000 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

May 14, 2007, 01:32 PM
    Auto accident settled, now person wants more
    I settled an auto accident outside my insurance for the amount on the person's estimate. The person had the car fixed somewhere else, outside of Los Angeles, California and now wants the additional amount it cost him. He had it fixed in Vancouver. I did not agree to anything besides the estimate I have. I've turned it over to my insurance now to see if they can at least reimburse me for what I paid him. I doubt they can cover him on the rest because he has had the car fixed and they have no proof. Am I really responsible for the additional amount it cost him? I am curious if he takes me to small claims court if he could win because he took it upon himself to take the car elsewhere. Of course I had to rear end a Mercedes S550.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 14, 2007, 01:35 PM
    Hillo ill:

Did you get that agreement in writing? No?? Do you have a copy of the estimate that you paid on?

I don't know. You could win. I'll give it 50/50.

excon
    illini2000 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

May 14, 2007, 01:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hillo ill:

Did you get that agreement in writing? No??? Do you have a copy of the estimate that you paid on?

I dunno. You could win. I'll give it 50/50.

excon
    I have the estimate that I paid on and I have a scan of the front and back of the check I wrote him from my bank website. On the memo part of the check I wrote that it was settlement for accident. I'm just wondering if him having it fixed elsewhere without providing any proof gets me out of it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 14, 2007, 04:29 PM
    No you don't owe him any money but you learned a good lesson, about by passing the insurance company, what you do before you give him a settlement check, for payment in full. Of all present and future costs, for all damages to car and personal.

When they sign that, you give them the check. Most likely he got a higher bid, and says I can get some summer vaction money form this man.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Auto Accident [ 2 Answers ]

I got in a minor accident and the police weren't called. After a very little bit, I realized what a huge mistake that was. I accidentally rear ended someone and the damage was very minor. We exchanged information. What liabilities did I open myself up to? Thanks for the help.

Auto accident [ 2 Answers ]

I simply need to know if an accident occurs and the person not at fault does not have insurance, can he/she still sue the person at fault? I am asking in terms of Kentucky No-Fault Insurance law.

Please help: Auto accident [ 8 Answers ]

Hello everyone, In 2005, I met with an accident while coming from work just one block after I put my car into the road. I had my two kids(ages 6 & 8) in the back of my SUV and they were fighting about the Harry Potter movie they had seen. I turned back for like a second to tell them to stop...

Auto accident [ 5 Answers ]

I was involved in a car accident last month, my car was totalled. It was not my fault, this lady cut in front of me. Her insurance paid for my car (Kelly blue book price) and also paid the registration of my new vehicle. I went to the doctor with a neck and thumb strain, also I had some burns...

Auto Accident Help [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I was involved in an auto accident and I live in California. This is my first accident and I'm not sure what to do and what not to do. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks and here is my story. 8/19/06 I was sitting at a red light second car in line. The light turned green the car in front...

View more questions Search