Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jkelley Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2007, 10:31 AM
    Changing a 4 prong to 3 prong
    I recently moved and my dryer is a 4 prong and I need to change it to a 3 prong. I am not sure which wires go where. I had a black, white,red and green. Do I take the green ground wire and attach it to the white neutral? My new wires all all neutrasl with the middle being the white.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 14, 2007, 10:58 AM
    If you have Red, Black, White and Green at recpticle. Change to 4 wire recpticle.
    If you want to Go to the "Old Way" then you need a 3 wire dryer cord(30 Amp)
    The 2 outside terminals are usuall the hots. The center one will be your Green(Ground) Cap Neutral. Can Parallel only if Below 50 Volts or larger than 1/0.
    You will need to reconnect Strap at dryer connections, which tie Ground and Neutral
    Together.
    The reason they went to 4 wire, because, Neutral can carry current. Ground makes sure it will not become live.( The Case of the dryer)
    jkelley Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2007, 11:25 AM
    I want to go the old way. What do I do with the 4th wire in the dryer? Do I connect it with the neutral? I had the 3 wires attatched but it did not turn on

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    If you have Red, Black, White and Green at recpticle. change to 4 wire recpticle.
    If you want to Go to the "Old Way" then you need a 3 wire dryer cord(30 Amp)
    The 2 outside terminals are usuall the hots. The center one will be your Green(Ground) Cap Neutral. Can Parallel only if Below 50 Volts or larger than 1/0.
    You will need to reconnect Strap at dryer connections, which tie Ground and Neutral
    together.
    The reason they went to 4 wire, because, Neutral can carry current. Ground makes sure it will not become live.( The Case of the dryer)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Convert 4 prong dryer plug to 3 [ 2 Answers ]

My wall outlet is a 4 prong I have a pigtail to change my Sears dryer to a 3 prong but not sure how to properly wire it the 4 plug is red, white, black and green the replacent not color coded

Converting 2-prong outlets to 3-prong [ 1 Answers ]

I live in an old house were only a few of the outlets are 3-prongs. I want to change all the existing 2-prong outlets (as buying cheaters is annoying) to some GFCI outlets, but I have a problem. There are no light fixtures in the house, and all the light switches run the top slot on the outlets,...

Prong Collar [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend who has gotten into a method of training that I do not approve of. I think that the prong is a mean and harmful way to teach the dog to do things and she will not listen because she thinks her way is best. I know this has nothing to do with dogs or sick dogs. I need help in...

What is the difference in a 2 prong or a 3 prong condenser motor capacitor? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, 1996 Rheem AC (SEER 12) condenser fan moter replaced. (A.O. Smith 1/8 HP 825 rpm. 208-230 volt.) My old capacitor has 3 prongs, black, black and white. The white one has an orange wire that goes to the compressor. The new capacitor has 2 prongs, black and black. Where do I...

Three prong dryer element [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend that has a dryer problem. First the breaker was shot. I replaced it. Next the thermoswitch was shot. I replaced it. Now I only get 110 too all three of the dryer connections. I cannot get 240 across these connections. Am I too assume this dryer has two elements since there are...

View more questions Search