Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    enciso_erika Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2007, 10:27 AM
    Changing child's last name
    I live in Illinois and I want to know if it is possible to change my child's last name to my own? The father abandoned us when she was just one month old and we have no idea where he is.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 14, 2007, 10:32 AM
    You can legally use any name you want as long as its not intended to defraud. For example, you can tell his school he goes by John Maidenname and they will accept it, even if the birth certificate is different.

But if you want to ochange it legally, then you will need to go to Family court and petititon them. They will have you make a reasonable attempt to contact the father for permission. If you can't, they will most likely grant the petition.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to change child's last name [ 7 Answers ]

My daughter has both of our last names how do I drop off his? Do I need his permission?

Child's safety [ 6 Answers ]

I have a question I wanted to just push around to see others thoughts. A friend of mine is a alcoholic. She has openly admitted this, and has tried to get help from AA. When she get's in to the program she seems worse. She'll call my house crying drunk all hours of the day saying she can't...

Changing a child's name [ 2 Answers ]

Do I have the right to change my children's surname without applying to do it by deedpoll. Currently my children have there fathers surname, however they refer to themselves by my surname, he does have PR and would not allow them to use my name if I asked him. They have no contact with him and have...

Changing an adopted child's first name? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi me and my husband are just about to start the adoption process we are looking to adopt a young child in nottingham we have got our first meeting on the 20th we have a few questions to ask but one question we want to ask but don't want to feel silly so please can you tell us. We would like to...

Child's name change [ 5 Answers ]

Me and my husband want my son's name changed to our last name but the biological father did not sign paternity papers or the birth certificate does he have to be notified and how do we begin the process?

View more questions Search