Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 14, 2007, 08:36 AM
    Gold
    Hello:

Gold used to be money. In 1973, Nixon declared that it wasn't - it's just a commodity. How much of that commodity can be legally transported OUT of the USA, before the government changes its mind and calls it money again?

excon
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

May 14, 2007, 08:46 AM
    How much have you got? I'll give you a hand for a cut! Lol!
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2007, 08:50 AM
    It would depend where you send it. If you send it to Canada they would alert the US govt and investigate if any fraud is going on if you transport over 10,000 worth into Canada. But gold can pretty much be exchanged for money back and forth at a pretty constant price so I don't think they would ever stop someone from exporting smaller quantities.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 14, 2007, 09:13 AM
    Hello again:

What if I melted it and turned it into a left front fender. Is it illegal to drive that car out of the US? Is the fender money? Would I be required to tell somebody about my fender? Why wouldn't I be required to tell them about my cheaper right front fender.

excon
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2007, 10:28 AM
    Yes you would have to declare it if it's worth over 10,000 still. You have to declare any item worth over 10,000 when you cross the canada-us border in either direction. They will specifically ask if you have any item worth over 10,000 $ when you cross and if they don't its your responsibility to tell them.

If you don't declare it and somehow they find out it will be seized and you could be charged with smuggling or money laundering.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old gold markings [ 6 Answers ]

I have an old (about 60 yrs.) white gold wedding band marked "18kt P". Could anyone tell me what the "P" indicates? Thanks.

Investing in gold [ 12 Answers ]

I am thinking of buying gold bullion as protection against some sort of possible disaster which might befall the United States. I don't wish to be stuck with nearly valueless paper currency if that happens. How as a beginner could I get the best value for my money. I realize that the value of gold...

Gold crowns [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to remove a gold crown at home, if so... How? I am currently not insured, but I relly need this crown removed.

Gold Bracelet Id? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello- My great aunt passed away and I found this bracelet in her jewellery box. It is very heavy and has the number 750 on the latch. It also has a mark that I truly can't make out. I think it's an "S" or "M" in a box. Thanks for any help!

View more questions Search