Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lwevans22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2007, 08:33 AM
    Attachment of Bank Account
    My bank account was attached and I received no notice from my bank. The basis for the attachment was a claim over 10m years old. What should I do? Can then bank do this? Can a creditor attach on a claim this old?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 14, 2007, 08:52 AM
    Hello lw:

The bank isn't required to inform you. If the bank has been given a court order, it must comply. In order to have been granted a court order, however, a creditor must have sued you and won. In order to have sued you and won, HE would have had to notify you. If he didn't, you can go back to the court that awarded the judgment, and move the court to set aside the judgment for lack of service.

You can hire a lawyer to do that, you can go yourself, or you can write a letter telling the judge you were never notified and ask him to consider your letter a motion. Send a copy to the plaintiff's lawyer (important!) If that's granted, then you can make the old debt claim. You can find out which court it is by viewing the bank attachment order. The bank will be happy to show it to you.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 14, 2007, 09:06 AM
    To be able to attach your bank account, the lender had to get a judgement, a judgement is normally good for 10 years. And normally can be renewed for another 10 if needed.

You should have been notified of the court hearing when the lender took you to court. The bank does not have to notify you.

If you were not properly notified you may go back to court and get it overturned, Also if you can prove it is not a valid debt.
    But getting an attorney would be the first place to start

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank Account [ 4 Answers ]

Can I get a bank account after the bankruptcy has been granted?

Old Bank Account [ 9 Answers ]

My boyfriend is being audited by IRS. He needs to locate an old bank account that he had when married. Wife has moved out of state and he does not know how to locate her to find out name of bank in year2000. Is there a way to find out information maybe with your social security number.

Bank Account Garnishments [ 5 Answers ]

My bank account was recently frozen by a company for a vehicle I co-signed for with a friend in 1999 who had insufficient credit. It was repossessed without my knowledge until much later :mad:. The car was purchased solely for my friend to use as I had a car;never drove it or rode in it. Both of...

Bank Account Attachment [ 4 Answers ]

I recently had a judgment against me and got served a notice of Judgement. I have a bank account that is in myself and my boyfriends name. My question is: can they legally take money out of this account or freeze and take my boyfriends money that he deposits on there if we are not married? And if...

Attachment of bank accounts [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference in freeze vs attach a bank account? Under what conditions can this be done? Is there any fore warning when this is to be done? What are the ways to get around this saga?

View more questions Search