Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    important Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2007, 07:59 AM
    SSN after H1b approval
    My friend is in USA on H4. He had applied for H1b and got an approval. Can he apply for SSN now. If not, when can he apply? What are the documents required?
    Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 14, 2007, 09:39 AM
    Yes, apply to the Social Security Administration. Go to their website for details.

May 15, 2007, 05:57 AM
    He has applied for ITIN but have not yet received it. Can he apply for SSN while his ITIN application is still pending?
    Senior Tax Expert

May 16, 2007, 01:46 PM
    Yes, he can apply for the SSN. The ITIN is a temporary solution which will be superceded by the SSN.

May 18, 2007, 06:44 AM
    He had gone to the SSA office with all the documents and I797. But, he was told that its too early right now to apply since his H1B status starts in October and he needs to come back later. His application for SSN was not accepted. Can you tell me which month should he now go to SSA office to apply for SSN.
    Senior Tax Expert

May 18, 2007, 09:48 AM
    I would apply is late July/early August.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1B VISA holder, Wife on F1 without SSN [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am working on an H1B VISA in VA and got married in 2006. My wife is on a F1 student VISA in RI and does not have any earnings. I want to claim her as a dependent , but since she does not have a job, hence no SSN. What would be the procedure to follow in this case to claim her as a...

F1-H1B: whendoes the medicare/SSN tax clock start? [ 1 Answers ]

My OPT is valid till June 13,2006 and H1 has started Oct 1 2006.My employer is not taking out SSN and Medicare out of my check.Would I be liable for it at the end of year. What if I inform my employer and they still do not take it out,Would I still have to payit at the end of year. Do you...

F1-H1B: whendoes the medicare/SSN tax clock start? [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently on OPT that will expire June 2007. In the meantime, my H1B has been approved for Oct 2006 onwards. On OPT I don't have to pay extra taxes for Social Security and Medicare but I guess as H1B I will have to. Now let's assume I get my h1B stamped on Nov 25. 1. Am I right that up to...

View more questions Search