Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Len79 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2007, 07:19 AM
    Correct method to attach floor support beam to pole
    I'm building a cabin and have a peir/pole foundation. The floor is going to be supported by double 2"x12" bolted to the poles across a 10' span. The floor joists are going to sit on top of this beam.

My question is what is the correct way to attach the double 2x12's... should I nail the 2x12's together and then lag bolt them to one side of the pole OR is it better to mount one 2x12 on either side of the pole and use threaded rods to bolt the 2x12's to the pole?

The load requirement calls for double 2x12 to carry the weight across the span, and I don't know if one 2x12 on each side of the pole will act the same as two nailed together on one side of the pole.

Thanks for any help!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 14, 2007, 08:03 AM
    Don't space the 2x12 on the pole, bolt them together with carriage bolts. Laminated beams would carry the load even better. What is the size of your pole and what does it sit on?

May 14, 2007, 11:09 AM
    the pole is 6x6 and it sits on a 12" sonotube concrete peir that extends down 42" below grade.

the post is bolted to the peir with a 1/4" steel sleeve with an air camber (part of a kit i purchased including the base, eve and ridge steel sleeve system to allow you to slip standard 6x6 inside and bolt them together into a "tip up" frame.

the max load requirement per beam is 4500lbs across a 10' span, so I was thinking a double 2x12 should carry the load. This is just a weekend cabin and probably would never see the kind of loads a normal house might see.

thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 14, 2007, 07:21 PM
    Two 2x12 over 10" should be fine. My cabin sees big loads when my buds come for golf. 2x12 would just about carry the kegs.
    AltaVista Posts: 70, Reputation: 12

May 14, 2007, 10:19 PM
    I agree with the bolted together method, but encourage the laminated/engineered bean. As an architectural designer, I'll often specify the product listed below. Take a look and perhaps you can get some ideas that would work for you.

TrimJoist Corporation - Engineered Wood Joists

May 15, 2007, 06:12 AM
    Thank you very much for your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring single pole thermostat in double pole fixture [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to install a line voltage programmable thermostat into a manual thermostat fixture. The programmable thermostat is Honeywell RLV430. Instruction manual here: http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/b7867367-6c05-4c82-a97c-648044b91564.pdf The...

Attach stud walls to cement floor [ 9 Answers ]

I am putting in a wood/sheetrock wall in my basement, but don't know how to attach the wood frame/studs to a cement floor. All help appreciated.

One pole of untied double-pole circuit breaker breaks [ 5 Answers ]

I recently purchased a new dryer (220 v appliance) to replace an older model. The old dryer was connected to the panel via a double-pole breaker except that there was no clip or tie between the poles. I changed the location of the outlet when installing the new dryer, replacing the cable with the...

How to attach a dads wages for child support [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter is 5 months old and her dad and I have already done a DNA test to prove he is the father.He lives 1500 miles away from us and has no intentions on comeing down to see her and I want him to owe up to his responsibility. How do I get his wages attached so he has to start paying for his...

I need the correct method to transfer a lineal heirs rights and claim to an estate. [ 1 Answers ]

I need the correct method to transfer a lineal heirs rights and claim to an estate in Oklahoma to myself. The heir is my Brother and he has stated that he wishes to "sign the papers" to relinquish any and all claim to our Mothers estate. I would appreciate any and all assistance, Thank you.

View more questions Search