Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rgallrn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2007, 07:01 AM
    Grounding a GFI
    I am using an existing wire that was used for a dryer. I have changed the breakers to 2-20 amp single pole breakers and am splitting the line to make two 110volt GFI outlets for a whirlpool tub (1 for pump and 1 for heater). I have a red, white, and black wires, however, there is no bare copper wire to gound to. I do have access to a cold water line that I can ground to. Would this be an acceptable form of ground.
    Thanks,
    rgallrn
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 14, 2007, 07:28 AM
    If it was Dryer. Old days was 2 hots and a ground.
    New Construction and remodel require 4 wire. 2 hots, green for ground, and white for neutral.
    Sounds like you have no ground, If you have metal conduit, That was probably where it got its ground.
    Not all cold water pipes are grounded.PVC, CPVC could be in the middle and may not be good ground.
    If in conduit, Pull white out with white and green attached. You now have the 4 wires.
    Make sure black and red are on opposite phase, to keep from overloading neutral.
    You should read 220 volts between the 2 breakers. 0 volts means on same phase.
    Verify both have 120 volts from ground/Neutral.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grounding outlet [ 6 Answers ]

Hey anyone How do I ground a 3 prong outlet and there are only 2 wires one black and one white. No green

Generator grounding [ 5 Answers ]

I just bought a 4400/3500 watt generator for a building project. The directions say that I need to ground the generator with a suitable grounding rod and stranded No. 12 AWG wire. I have never heard of contractors grounding their generators. Are they being careless, or are my generator...

Grounding an Outlet [ 22 Answers ]

I am moving into an older house that has only 2-prong outlets. Some are 3-prong, but they are not grounded (I have a power strip that tells you if it is gounded or not). I found this at Ace Hardware....

Grounding a subpanel [ 1 Answers ]

I have a set of direct current solar panels mounted on a metal structure (carport). All the panels and the structure are grounded to a ground rod driven near one of the support posts. Can I use the same ground rod for the ground connection of an alternating current subpanel mounted on one of...

Help - What to do with the Grounding Wires [ 5 Answers ]

Because of brown waters, I want to re-run the hot/cold water pipes for the entire house. But there is one major problem, the existing galvanized pipes had some grounding wires attached to them and I'll plan to use the PEX pipe. I have no ideas how to run the new grounding wires when I take out...

View more questions Search