Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mizzfizz Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2007, 06:24 AM
    Eye colour
    Can two blue eyed parents make a brown eyed child?
    And can two brown eyes make a blue eyed child?
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2007, 07:12 AM
    Eye colour comes from one gene right? Nope you got lied to at school about that one it is actually polygenic despite always being used to describe a discrete phenotype. Eye colour comes form the interaction of several genes- I think it's considered to be about 8 at the moment. So depending on the combination of all the eye colour genes you receive will determine the colour of the eyes. Certain combinations are going to be more likely that others in the progeny - therefore it is common to share your parents eye colour.

Also you have to consider genetic mutations causing one of the eye colour genes or related associated proteins in expression- these would cause a different eye colour than what you would expect form inheritance alone.

So you can see it is possible and observed.

If you want to know where the genes are located look at this site - it also confirms that this happens
    OMIM - EYE COLOR 1; EYCL1

May 16, 2007, 03:09 AM
    So what's the answer yes or no??
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 16, 2007, 03:21 AM
    NO
    And
    YES
    Or is it
    YES
    And
    NO
    Or maybe
    BOTH!
    I forget.
    dannysmom Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

May 16, 2007, 05:28 AM
    Case in point husband and I both brown, sun has blue
    If two blonds have a brown , wife has some explaining to do.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2007, 07:56 AM
    Sorry It's yes it is possible - the link to online mendelien inheritance in man confirms this - I just thought you might wish to see it straight from a reputable source. Sorry for any confusion I was in exam mode!
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

May 16, 2007, 08:22 AM
    It is very, very rare for two blue eyed parents to have a brown eyed child due to blue eyes being a non-dominant trait, but it can happen due to the more complex interplay of genes the previous poster discussed.

Brown eyed couples can and do have blue eyed children fairly regularly, due to many brown eyed people having a blue recessive gene due to one blue eyed parent themselves.

For example both my parents have brown eyes, but they each had one blue eyed and one brown eyed parent, so I could have easily had blue eyes.

May 16, 2007, 08:23 AM
    I thought goldfish has white spot oe black spot, not pimples... wot like acne??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kittens eye colour [ 2 Answers ]

My two kittens are 10 weeks old. When will their permanent eye colour be established?

Eye colour [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I have unusual eye colour of the Iris, my eyes are brown around the pupil but the rest of the iris is blue, does anyone know what this eye type is called and why I have this unusual eye type?

Dress Colour for Hair Colour? [ 8 Answers ]

Hey, my name's Michelle, and I have no idea what colour dress looks good on me. I have long (longer than shoulder-length) straight blonde hair, and pale blue eyes. I'm tanned, but not too tanned, and I'm average weight. I was wondering if there's any colour scheme or something to figure out what...

Eye colour of our baby [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Please tell me what is the probability for my son's eye color to be Green. He is now 18 days old and the color is currently steel blue/green. I am the father and I have light green eyes. My father has light green eyes (almost identical to mine) and my mother has green eyes (the color of...

Eye colour [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have an interesting question for you, I have blue and brown eyes, the irises are brown in the middle around the pupils and the rest of the iris is light blue. I have been told that this is Heterochromia, is this correct? The colours are very distinct as the brown is just as evident as...

View more questions Search