Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bilobang2 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2007, 12:55 AM
    Gauging a cartilage piercing
    Hey I just pierced my cartilage myself, no pain at all right now.. no swelling.. basically everything went fine.
    My first question is..
    1.how long until I can take this out without it closing up too fast to put in another piercing
    2.I have an 8 gauge bar (also used on my lob) that I was wondering over time, would that even work? Or should I keep it around the 14-10 area?

Thanks!
    Lolitah_xx Posts: 104, Reputation: 5

Jul 10, 2007, 06:07 PM
    Ummm you can just put a regular earing in it and wait 12 weeks before changing it and once you finally do take it out don't leave it out longer than 24 hours or it will close
    emilykatherine Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2007, 10:35 PM
    The whole gauge thing,
    Mines at a 16 right now.
    And I have a 1/2in straight barbell in right both of them.
    But whatever floats your boat
    3lastwords Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Aug 22, 2007, 08:11 PM
    Uhm... I've read a lot... about that... right now, mine is only a 18g lol.
    Cause I'm scared of stretching it, cause people said that if you stretch it too quickly, you can develop a keloid :|
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2007, 08:18 PM
    Wow, this thread is a bit old, but it may help someone else with a similar question.

I personally would not recommend anything bigger than a 12 gauge in your cartilage. If you stretch the piercing too big, it may never heal, and big hole can remain there. It takes a very long time for cartilage piercings to heal as it is. I have a piercing in my cartilage that I've had for about 10 years, haven't had an earring in it, and its still not closed.

**EDIT** - I forgot to add, the one I have that's 10 years old was just a regular 14 gauge. Whatever you do, please be careful and keep the after effects in mind. :)
    Scshephard Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2009, 08:05 PM
    I know this thread is old but I thought I'd add to it for more information.

I too have had my helix piercing for a long time and decided to gauge it. It is correct to assume that you should go slowly. I started with an ear post and went to a circular barbell of small size. From there I just started increasing the size about every six weeks. I think you can actually go a little faster than that but I'm not entirely sure.

Check the internet thoroughly. You will find different information on different sites.

What started as a post is now up to a 10 gauge and I plan to go up to a 4 gauge. Yes there will be a hole but that's half the fun!
    leah loo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2013, 03:20 PM
    I've been stretching my cartilage for about a month now. Its best for your ears not to go though so much pain, but your going to want to go up a size about every 2 weeks. When you get to size 10 and your ready to stretch up from that take it slowww. Going from a 10 to an 8 ing hurts and its supper bad for your ears. Get some teflon tape and vitamin E oil, olive oil works well too, as lube for the gauge. Your going to have a hell of a time wraping the gauge in tef. Tape but cut the strip in half and work with that. Do a wrap at a time put some lube on that and slide it in there. Its going to take about a month to get the 8 gauge in but trust me it is less painful and so much easier on your body. Take it slow. You'll still have minimal pain but nothing over whelming. Make sure to wrap new tape around your gauge every 2 to 3 days or you could risk getting an infection, and for cartilage that means starting alll over again. That's what happen to mine after I successfully got to a 6 did a week of partying and by the end of that week my ears were swollen and hurting. Now I'm back in the in between of 10 and a 8. wish you luck! Keep them ears clean!
    leah loo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2013, 03:20 PM
    I've been stretching my cartilage for about a month now. Its best for your ears not to go though so much pain, but your going to want to go up a size about every 2 weeks. When you get to size 10 and your ready to stretch up from that take it slowww. Going from a 10 to an 8 ing hurts and its supper bad for your ears. Get some teflon tape and vitamin E oil, olive oil works well too, as lube for the gauge. Your going to have a hell of a time wraping the gauge in tef. Tape but cut the strip in half and work with that. Do a wrap at a time put some lube on that and slide it in there. Its going to take about a month to get the 8 gauge in but trust me it is less painful and so much easier on your body. Take it slow. You'll still have minimal pain but nothing over whelming. Make sure to wrap new tape around your gauge every 2 to 3 days or you could risk getting an infection, and for cartilage that means starting alll over again. That's what happen to mine after I successfully got to a 6 did a week of partying and by the end of that week my ears were swollen and hurting. Now I'm back in the in between of 10 and a 8. wish you luck! Keep them ears clean!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Piercing [ 25 Answers ]

Lately Ive been wanting a lip ring My parents are very strict about facial piercings but I wanted to know if it's a good idea or a bad one for a 13 year old with a lip ring

Self-piercing [ 18 Answers ]

Within the last year I have pierced a second hole in each of my ears 3 separate times, each time purposefully letting them heal. I have also pierced my belly button twice and let it heal as well. I make sure to sterilize everything, and I've never had any problems with infections or anything like...

Does Cartilage Piercing hurt? Is it unsafe? [ 97 Answers ]

I am getting the top of my ear pierced, like on the side in the cartilage. I was wondering how much it will hurt if it is being done with a needle (not a gun) and how high chance it is for infection. I know that it takes a lot longer than a hole in your earlobe to heal, about a few months?

When will cartilage piercing pain go away? Can I eventually sleep on my side? [ 29 Answers ]

Hi I recently have had my cartilage pierced on my right ear only and it does not hurt at all right now and most of the time it doesn't hurt at all but it is sore when I touch it and it is too painful to spin the studs so I just leave them alone and try to clean them as much as I can with the...

Nipple piercing [ 4 Answers ]

I have a pierced nipple and there is some debate as to whether I will be able to breastfeed. I got told many years ago that it would be fine, in fact better as I have an extra hole!:confused:

View more questions Search