Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Barry Goldman-Hall Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2007, 09:34 PM
    Installing old phone
    I am trying to install a very old (circa 1920) telephone in my home. The cord from the phone has 2 leads, and the patch cord purchased from Radio Shack has 4 colored leads (red, green, yello, and black) on one end and a plug-in jack on the other. How do I install this old phone?
    AltaVista Posts: 70, Reputation: 12

May 13, 2007, 09:50 PM
    There's a good chance I'll be corrected here, but as I recall, you really can't. I actually tried to do this back in the 1950's and it has to do with voltage differences on a basic level and then just several more reasons beyond that. I think the transducers in a 1920's phone were some kind of carbon device and it just goes from there...
    I've seen replica phones from that period and they All have modern electronics inside.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 13, 2007, 10:09 PM
    AltaVista may be correct in the answer above concerning the voltage differences. 1920 is a long time ago in the development of the telephone and electrical components and their design.

I was able to hook up an old phone in my home that I think was from the 1940's. There were only two wires. Also, from my experience in rewiring the entire phone system in my home (I have six phones) I have found that any of my phones work with using just two out of the four wires. I don't know why that is. You might want to try experimenting by hooking up combinations of the two wires from the phone with any two wires from the patch cord. Maybe one of the combinations will work.

If that doesn't work, maybe you could put the workings of a modern phone inside the old phone? At least it would still look the same then. Just an idea.
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

May 13, 2007, 10:46 PM
    Are the wires twisted? If they are twisted pair, you should be able to hook it up. Even modern wired phones only need one pair. Since it is low voltage, it should not hurt to experiment some. The extra "pair" of wires is in case you have more than one phone line.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 14, 2007, 03:28 AM
    Modern single line phones always use the just the red and green wires. I am not sure how to sort out which wire from the phone to connect to the red and green. I don't know if you opened the phones up if there would be enough similarities to check things like which wire went to the ringer, the switch, the speaker, or microphone.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 14, 2007, 06:08 AM
    Won't hurt to try. As indicated, connect the two wires one to red the other to green. If that doesn't work reverse them. If it still doesn't work, display the phone as a museum piece.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I phone [ 2 Answers ]

Hello every one, I am with this company called iPhone (like vonage phone with the internet) and I could not have made a worst decision in my life, I got this service about 6 months ago and I was without a phone 5 times for two days in a row. I think this idea of having these type of service is a...

Wiring a 2nd phone line into a regular phone line? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. A long time ago, I had a phone jack installed in my room to be used for a 2nd phone line. Well, we shut off the 2nd phone line, so now I have a phone jack in my room that is basically out of order. I'm trying to turn it into a regular phone jack. This jack has never been a regular wired phone...

Photos from PC to phone [ 2 Answers ]

I need help downloadin photos from my phone to my PC, any suggestions:confused:

How to record phone conversations from phone to PC? [ 6 Answers ]

Is there an inexpensive way to record phone conversations directly to PC using the earphone or headset jack port on the phone to either microphone line in port or USB port on PC? Does it also require special software? Here's what I want to do: My friend and I want to record our phone...

Stolen phone - am I stuck with phone charges? [ 3 Answers ]

My cell phone was stolen recently and the guy who stole it called all over the place, adding about $175 in phone charges to our phone bill. I reported it stolen to Qwest, but they say the charges are still my responsibility. I am planning to refute the bill, but I don't know the correct...

View more questions Search